Tractor
    MF255

Default Checking hydraulic fluid???

Its a Massey Ferguson 255 with a FEL. When checking the fluid does the hydraulics need to be extended or does even matter since its a push pull system? Also does it need to be running?

Thanks in advance

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    JD4300

Default Re: Checking hydraulic fluid???

Shouldn't matter on the cylinders, like you say its push pull with only the piston rod volume making a difference. I would run it up to temp, then check the amount of oil in the sump knowing that any oil galleries were still pretty well full. On my JD the main criteria is to have the tractor on level ground.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

I agree.. if it used SA cyl's.. I'd extend them.. otherwise, it should be ok to check when static...

soundguy

Tractor
    MF 596 , MF 4243, MF 1433V, D4H, D3C

Just make sure you have the tractor on a level a spot as possible.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
    Will Rogers

The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale and pays the freight both ways.
    John F. Kennedy

Just wanted to add if your having a hard time seeing the fluid brush the end of the dip stick with a black magic marker...much easier on the peepers doing that.
    Kubota B1750 with chains on all 4 turf tires. CC1440 & GT2550

Super Star Member IslandTractor's Avatar
    Tractor
    2007 Kioti DK40se HST, Woods BH

Quote Originally Posted by savageactor7 View Post
    Just wanted to add if your having a hard time seeing the fluid brush the end of the dip stick with a black magic marker...much easier on the peepers doing that.
    Or add a red dye to the fluid. Dye sold by Caterpillar so I imagine it is trustworthy.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

I've drilled small #10 or #12 holes in wide blade oil dipsticks before.. right at the fill line.. Intersecting the hole that is.. that way you can se the oil or thru the hole..

sounduy

Tractor
    Kubota's - B7610, M4700

Quote Originally Posted by IslandTractor View Post
    Or add a red dye to the fluid. Dye sold by Caterpillar so I imagine it is trustworthy.
    Do you have a link for that?
    /edit from experience I carry a paper towel and touch it to the paper towel, another thread here recommended a blue shop towel.
    My rides - '95 Kubota M4700 w/ PEC, LA1001 FEL :'07 B7610, LA352 FEL, Bush Hog SBX 48 box blade, '09 Woods BH70-X w/ 16" bucket and thumb, 3pt pallet forks, Dale Phillips PHD, Jinma 8" chipper, 2 Piranha's, Winco 12KW PTO generator, Howse plow, 5' KK tiller, 5' Big Bee cutter, with a 2002 7.3L Ford F350 CC DRW 4x4 and '07 18' Hudson HSE Deluxe trailer - 5 Ton to haul it all

Super Star Member IslandTractor's Avatar
    Tractor
    2007 Kioti DK40se HST, Woods BH

Quote Originally Posted by newbury View Post
    Do you have a link for that?
    /edit from experience I carry a paper towel and touch it to the paper towel, another thread here recommended a blue shop towel.
    No link. It is just a tip I picked up on TBN. Caterpiller dealers apparently carry the dye.

I use the paper towel method myself but would add the dye if I ever run across a Caterpillar dealer.