Oil & Fuel Fuel Transfer from Diesel Truck's Tank?

/ Fuel Transfer from Diesel Truck's Tank? #1  

ouderstad

I have a diesel truck and I'm considering just filling the truck's tank (diesel pump is 5 miles away) and then transferring the fuel directly to the tractor instead of using a bunch of containers or a separate tank. Any problems doing this? If not, is there an efficient way to syphon the fuel across? Thanks!

/ Fuel Transfer from Diesel Truck's Tank? #2  
In my situation, we use diesel in the truck and offroad diesel in the tractor. Probably a 30 cent per gallon or so price difference due to the additional taxes for the "onroad" stuff.

Keith

/ Fuel Transfer from Diesel Truck's Tank? #3  
Not exactly your question... but similar.

For the last 20 years I have used a 3-way fuel tank valve and mounted 12 volt fuel pump to fill all of my gasoline powered equipment... even have a coiled hose with a ball valve on the other end to top off the mower, splitter and tiller...

Just couldn't see fooling around with gas cans when the tank of my Chevy van holds 34 gallons... also no fumes to deal with from leaking or spilled gas inside the van...

The hose and valve store behind my front license plate... I bought one of those hinge license plate holders common to GM cars from the 80's and 90's and mounted it to my front bumper...

/ Fuel Transfer from Diesel Truck's Tank?
Our town doesn't have an off-road diesel pump and we have to travel much further to obtain it. From an economic point of view, it's probably a wash.

/ Fuel Transfer from Diesel Truck's Tank? #5  
11*Our town doesn't have an off-road diesel pump and we have to travel much further to obtain it. From an economic point of view, it's probably a wash.
11*I get off road delivered if I order 25 gallon or more.
Check with Fuel distributers and suppliers in your area.
Gas stations or service stations are not the place to find off road fuel.

15*I have a diesel truck and I'm considering just filling the truck's tank (diesel pump is 5 miles away) and then transferring the fuel directly to the tractor instead of using a bunch of containers or a separate tank. Any problems doing this? If not, is there an efficient way to syphon the fuel across? Thanks!
15*You'ed be better off to go with something like this.
In my situation, we use diesel in the truck and offroad diesel in the tractor. Probably a 30 cent per gallon or so price difference due to the additional taxes for the "onroad" stuff.Keith
Leave it the Gov. To complicate a simple thing.

/ Fuel Transfer from Diesel Truck's Tank? #6  
Not exactly your question... but similar.

For the last 20 years I have used a 3-way fuel tank valve and mounted 12 volt fuel pump to fill all of my gasoline powered equipment... even have a coiled hose with a ball valve on the other end to top off the mower, splitter and tiller...

Just couldn't see fooling around with gas cans when the tank of my Chevy van holds 34 gallons... also no fumes to deal with from leaking or spilled gas inside the van...

The hose and valve store behind my front license plate... I bought one of those hinge license plate holders common to GM cars from the 80's and 90's and mounted it to my front bumper...

Way to go rear end someone and end up being a human torch!

/ Fuel Transfer from Diesel Truck's Tank? #7  
Way to go rear end someone and end up being a human torch!

I'm not sure if you're being serious... so in case you are, let me assure you that it would be impossible.

The factory metal fuel line is routed OEM under the radiator cross brace.

All I did was to add a UL listed 3-way fuel tank valve and a length of 1/4" coiled fuel rated hose.

Equipment is refilled by turning the selector to divert the fuel to the hose instead of the carburetor. I always turn the selector back to CARB and let the residual fuel in the hose drain into the fuel tank I'm filling.

The aux electric fuel pump is located in line between the tank and the engine driven pump.

If I run into something hard enough to rupture the OEM steel fuel line... I've got a problem no matter what... other than that, there is no fuel anywhere but in the OEM line except when I'm refilling a tank and that only happens with the truck parked and me doing the filling.

The space under the radiator and behind the bumper is only used to store the empty hose...

I'm not sure if my explanation suffices... anymore question... just fire away... (Sorry, couldn't resist ;-)

/ Fuel Transfer from Diesel Truck's Tank? #8  
My neighbor is a technician for a contractor maintaining trucks for a major telecommunications company [can you hear me now?] and they had a 'gasboy' 30 gal tank with a hand crank pump that they bring out on road calls where the unit may have run out of fuel.

I've seen it used, on weekends when the on site fuel pump was unavailable, to pump fuel out of ford trucks by cranking the pump on the opposite direction. Couldn't get fuel from the Chevy or Dodge units, just Fords. You could do the same thing on a 55 gal drum if you have a Ford.

/ Fuel Transfer from Diesel Truck's Tank? #9  
I like Ultra Runners idea---PROVIDING he uses a static ground strap to the mower etc before he starts the pump.

/ Fuel Transfer from Diesel Truck's Tank? #10  
The slickest idea I saw was a guy that mounted an extra diesal tank to the underside of his dump truck box. Wherever he was using his dozer, when he needed fuel he just pulled up along side, lifted the hoist and transferred the fuel from one to the other by gravity.