Who says draft control is only for farming? LOL

/ Who says draft control is only for farming? LOL
Just for grins you might want to try a demonstration of draft control that I learned 40 some years ago. Hook up a box scraper to your tractor, go to a field of loose soil, shift to the lowest forward gear, set the throttle at a good speed, hydraulics set for draft control, lower the box scraper to the lowest position. Let out the clutch and keep your hands off the hydraulic controls (we used to step off the tractor completely) and watch what happens. The box scraper will fill up, draft control will raise it up to reduce the load, it will fill up again, and the cycle keeps repeating itself.

That sounds about like what I've been doing, but maybe at a lighter draft setting. I set it where I don't have to touch the 3ph levers while grading until I turn around or back up. My driveway is about 4 tenths of a mile long, and I don't even have to look behind me while grading it if I get the draft set right.

/ Who says draft control is only for farming? LOL #12  
We also used to do something similar to what you did. We had a small gravel pit nearby and would tear it up, creating bumps, humps, holes, etc. Then, do as you did. Grab a box scraper full of spoil, set the draft a litle below neutral (slight draft), then drive around and around until the pit was flat and smooth again. Some of us find stuff like this to be a fun way to entertain ourselves. I've never outgrown playing in the dirt!

/ Who says draft control is only for farming? LOL #13  
I would think that draft control would help with scalping when using the brush hog, but I can't get it to help me at all. There is a top and bottom hole. Not sure if I should lengthen or shorten the top link?
Your brush hog [if it's like mine] the top link floats, and is only used to lift the bush hog up. Their for, the draft will not work. Use your lower lift armes, and rear wheel to controll your height.
Dave

/ Who says draft control is only for farming? LOL #14  
Perhaps someone can help me diagnose why mine doesn't work---Massey 254---manual says to put the outer quadrant(position) control all the way down and then use the inner quadrant(draft) control to adjust height of impliment or when attaching /un-attaching impliment. When I put the position control down the inner lever does nothing---however if I put the inner lever down more than about 1/4---the impliment falls to the ground and the position control does nothing---I'm at a loss as to what to check and the manual I have is one of those purchased on-line that has been copied and re-copied so many times as to be nearly worthless except for the printed text.

Any help greatly appreciated.

TIA, Jerry

/ Who says draft control is only for farming? LOL #15  
Perhaps someone can help me diagnose why mine doesn't work---Massey 254---manual says to put the outer quadrant(position) control all the way down and then use the inner quadrant(draft) control to adjust height of impliment or when attaching /un-attaching impliment. When I put the position control down the inner lever does nothing---however if I put the inner lever down more than about 1/4---the impliment falls to the ground and the position control does nothing---I'm at a loss as to what to check and the manual I have is one of those purchased on-line that has been copied and re-copied so many times as to be nearly worthless except for the printed text.

Any help greatly appreciated.

TIA, Jerry

It's been a long time since I've worked a two lever system, but try this.

The outer lever (Position Control) when set (at it's lowest setting) is actually establishing the very bottom of the range in which the draft control can work. (If the position control lever is set at its highest setting, draft control should be "locked out"). Then, when the inner (Draft Control) lever is lowered below its neutral point, the implement will drop to it's lowest level, in your case, to the ground. The lower the lever is set below the neutral point (the position on the quadrant where the first lift pulse is felt at the lift arm when the draft control lever is slowly raised from the bottom towards the top) the greater the draft load required to obtain a response from the hydraulic lift system.

Last edited:
   / Who says draft control is only for farming? LOL #16  
Opti---the manual say's to always set the position control all the way down and use the draft control to set the height of the 3-point when hooking up or changing impliments or for ground piercing impliments(makes no sense to me---why even have a position control if the draft control does everything???). Your explanation sounds much more reasonable to me---will play with it this weekend and try your method and let you know.

Jerry

Opti---the manual say's to always set the position control all the way down and use the draft control to set the height of the 3-point when hooking up or changing impliments or for ground piercing impliments(makes no sense to me---why even have a position control if the draft control does everything???). Your explanation sounds much more reasonable to me---will play with it this weekend and try your method and let you know.

Jerry

You will get yourself hurt if you change impliments the way you describe. The draft lever should be all the way down! Use the position lever to adjust 3PH height while changing impliments. Draft control senses weight on the 3ph if you suddenly remove that weight the 3ph arms will raise unexpectedly.

/ Who says draft control is only for farming? LOL #18  
Ok, here we go---what I stated about changing impliments is right out of the manual that is for this model tractor---having said that I still believe something is wrong here---if I put the position control all the way down as the manual says, draft control does nothing!!! The plow will dig to china or at least until the tractor stops---If I put the draft control any more than about 1/4 down it cancels position control completely, as in the plow will dig to china or what ever is the max. depth of the 3-point or the tractor stops( can you say ANCHOR). Me thinks something is not functioning correctly on this machine---Have had this beast for about 7 years and never paid attention to "draft/position control" until I got a ferguson 2-bottom plow and found how difficult plowing is without more than just position control---

For Opti,
Tried today to plow "your"way---set the depth with the left wheels on 6X8,s, set toplink for level shares, locked the position control stop so same depth on every pass, went out to the field and dropped position control to the "set" position and started rolling forward and slowly lowering the draft control lever---at 25% plow headed for china---help anyone
TIA,
Jerry

Ok, here we go---what I stated about changing impliments is right out of the manual that is for this model tractor---having said that I still believe something is wrong here---if I put the position control all the way down as the manual says, draft control does nothing!!! The plow will dig to china or at least until the tractor stops---If I put the draft control any more than about 1/4 down it cancels position control completely, as in the plow will dig to china or what ever is the max. depth of the 3-point or the tractor stops( can you say ANCHOR). Me thinks something is not functioning correctly on this machine---Have had this beast for about 7 years and never paid attention to "draft/position control" until I got a ferguson 2-bottom plow and found how difficult plowing is without more than just position control---

For Opti,
Tried today to plow "your"way---set the depth with the left wheels on 6X8,s, set toplink for level shares, locked the position control stop so same depth on every pass, went out to the field and dropped position control to the "set" position and started rolling forward and slowly lowering the draft control lever---at 25% plow headed for china---help anyone
TIA,
Jerry

Does your top link have different holes where it pins to the tractor? You have to use the correct holes for the draft control to function properly. On my kioti the two lower holes are for draft control and the top hole is not.

/ Who says draft control is only for farming? LOL #20  
383---I do have upper and lower holes to pin the top link to the tractor and am in the lower one, checked the manual again and find no mention of the draft or otherwise associated with these mounting points(I've been using the lower since I purchased the tractor just because thats where the pin was when I bought her)---today I'll switch holes and see if that makes any difference and report back to this forum.
Thanks for the information,

Jerry