Clutch failure - no free play Kubota M5100

/ Clutch failure - no free play Kubota M5100 #1  

neucam

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L185DT
Someone other than me received a new M5100 with no free play on the clutch and he did not know this was a problem. Well 30-60 hrs later the clutch failed. Trying to blame Kubota. I say if someone does not know a clutch has to have free play then he has no business buying a tractor that he can't maintain. Yes could be dealer problem, but ultimately it has to be the owners. I know a car is much different and an owner is not expected to know anything, but buying a tractor I think the owner is expected to know more, am I wrong?

/ Clutch failure - no free play Kubota M5100 #2  
My thinking is maybe the guy was a bit ignorant but, the tractor should have been set up properly from the dealership before he received it. If it was not sounds more like the dealer is at fault. If it was set up properly then it was either a bad clutch, Kubotas fault or the guy really rode the clutch, his fault. There is a lot of gray area here but if the tractor came with no free play from the beginning the guy may have thought it was normal.

/ Clutch failure - no free play Kubota M5100 #3  
Well,if clutch peddle didn't have any free -play,[not adjusted right from dealer/kubota] than he is not responsible,but how do you figure that,he could of just had clutch preesed in 1/2 way for 50 hours so....

/ Clutch failure - no free play Kubota M5100 #4  
Well,if clutch peddle didn't have any free -play,[not adjusted right from dealer/kubota] than he is not responsible,but how do you figure that,he could of just had clutch preesed in 1/2 way for 50 hours so....

/ Clutch failure - no free play Kubota M5100 #5  
You asked, and I will say you are wrong. Buying a tractor doesn't mean you have to been a maintenance expert. Many have the dealer do all the maintenance for them. Besides, if it came from the factory that way, I'm not even sure I would blame the dealer. If this is something that you need to be an expert on to own a tractor, then the dealer had better make sure they train people before they leave with the tractor.

Someone other than me received a new M5100 with no free play on the clutch and he did not know this was a problem. Well 30-60 hrs later the clutch failed. Trying to blame Kubota. I say if someone does not know a clutch has to have free play then he has no business buying a tractor that he can't maintain. Yes could be dealer problem, but ultimately it has to be the owners. I know a car is much different and an owner is not expected to know anything, but buying a tractor I think the owner is expected to know more, am I wrong?

/ Clutch failure - no free play Kubota M5100 #6  
Adjusting the clutch is one of the items listed in the first 50 hour maintenance tasks for my MX5100. I am by no means a tractor pro and wouldn't have known any different had the dealer adjusted the clutch improperly. I guess there is no way to point fingers as to who's fault it is with out some one stepping up and admitting the err of their ways. It should have been caught during the first scheduled maintenance...or could that have been what/who caused it.

Will insurance cover that failure? Kubota has a good insurance plan from what I hear.

/ Clutch failure - no free play Kubota M5100
Well to put this in perspective I asked my wife if she would notice a clutch that did not have free play. She said defiantly as she had many manual transmission cars in the past. Yes Kubota should have delivered a properly adjusted product, but how stupid it was of the owner to not notice this.

/ Clutch failure - no free play Kubota M5100 #8  
G'day i think you are being a bit hard on the new owner we have all got to start somewhere you learn from the day that you are born to the day you die and even then you still don't know it all i bet he knows now that he should have free travel. I would be blaming the dealer as that is a very poor pre delivery check we go right over and under all the new machines we sell and you would be surprised at what gets done before you get the machine, things like loose wheel nuts, low oil levels, missing parts etc the dealer should have picked up on the free travel if he was doing his job properly.

Jon

/ Clutch failure - no free play Kubota M5100 #9  
My wife knows the torque pattern for a small block chevy head, but I don't expect everyone who owns a vehicle with a small block chevy to know how to do this. I don't know all the details on this one, but I would expect a new tractor to be in proper working order when I started using it.

/ Clutch failure - no free play Kubota M5100 #10  
I shouldn't matter if it were delivered to the dealer from kubota with this not adjusted right.

A GOOD dealer does a pre-delivery inspection (PDI) of all the units before they are sold. The clutch free-play is one of the items on this inspection. I don't know if it is a requirement from kubota to do the PDI, but they provide all the forms and such so there is no reason NOT to do it...just my opinion.