Newbie seeks Wisdom and Basic ground rules

/ Newbie seeks Wisdom and Basic ground rules #11  
Read the manuals. Then read them again as you use the equipment. Search youtube for mistakes others have made and learn from them.

Don't engage PTO at full engine rpms.

/ Newbie seeks Wisdom and Basic ground rules #12  
Welcome fellow newbie.

(I'm two years into my life change of serious urban into actual farming).

I can not stress enough to refer to this site for anything and everything.

Thee best community that I have ever been involved in. Period.

My two cents.

1). Refer to this site for anything and everything, (It's deja vue -sp?- all over again - Y.B.).
&
2). Be careful in regards to this site. Not that the info is bad, I find the community to be wonderfully self-correcting. It is just that I have come to this site to just do a quick info search and have ended up spending hours reading what seems to be an almost overwhelming amount of necessary information.
&
3). Okay, more than two, be careful with the tractor, but enjoy.

/ Newbie seeks Wisdom and Basic ground rules #14  
Powassan - been through there many a time. Is there a restaurant called the Wagon Wheel there?

Another thing, keep the FEL low.

/ Newbie seeks Wisdom and Basic ground rules #15  
the only advice I could give is when you are working with the tractor pay attention to the little voice in your head, it usually knows what its talking about.

/ Newbie seeks Wisdom and Basic ground rules #16  
I second what powergod said. If a situation with the tractor feels wrong in your gut it most likely is. Stop, put your load down for a second and re-ascess the situation. It will save you a lot of grief later on. Good luck with your tractor. Enjoy it! - Mike

/ Newbie seeks Wisdom and Basic ground rules #17  
A well maintained tractor can kill you just as fast as a poorly maintained one. Think safety everytime BEFORE you climb into the seat. You will learn your limits the more you work your machine.

/ Newbie seeks Wisdom and Basic ground rules #18  
Other thing came to me after reading a few more responses.

Go slow.

Even after ten years with a tractor, the faster I go, I make more mistakes or make a mess.

/ Newbie seeks Wisdom and Basic ground rules #19  
To all greenhorns
Just be really, really careful, treat your tractor like you might handle your chainsaw...with lots of respect.
Specifically, turn the tractor completely off when hooking up the PTO.
Never drag anything like logs from anything other than the tow bar, never from the 3 point hitch, otherwise the front end might come up and over on you if the load you're dragging gets hung up.
If you are going from field to field on a highway full open in high gear lock your brakes together.
If you're on a hill sideways and feel yourself tipping steer downhill immediately. (You shouldn't be on that steep of slope anyway but just in case.)
Always set your brake when hopping off even for a second.
Keep the guards on the PTO shaft though it's tempting to take them off for better access. And watch out for loose clothing getting in those shafts and machinery.

/ Newbie seeks Wisdom and Basic ground rules #20  
Always keep your FEL low especially when it is loaded. If you have a load in your FEL and you feel you are tipping (for whatever reason) drop the loader and this can save your butt.