Newbie seeks Wisdom and Basic ground rules

/ Newbie seeks Wisdom and Basic ground rules #1  

Dave5264

Gold Member
Tractor
08 Montana C5264, 2011 McCormick CX100 XS
Hi Folks, per a few other posts on the Fourm, Im new here and new to Tractors (1 month). I just bought a Montana c5264 (4wd) witha FEL and a 5' Rotary Cutter. Schullte shift F & R needs clutch, PTO has Independant & Wheel speed selctions, Engine/Drive Train is Fiat with 3cyl Diesel, Tractor is made by for Montana by UTB (Uzina Tractorul Brasov, Romanian for Brasov Tractor Plant), pretty basic 60's technology

I know very little of the Do's and Donts of Tractor operation & ownership, so I thought this would be a good place to solicit the collective wisdom of many.

for example : "Dont Ride or rest your foot on the clutch pedal " rule for the Dry clutch Tractor.

"Lots of good used implements, but dont buy a used PHD"

what are your words of advice, wisdom?, what do you wish someone had told you when you first got into this ?

thanks in advance !

/ Newbie seeks Wisdom and Basic ground rules #2  
Get more HP than you think you'll need. My tractor is great, but could use at least another 5-7hp...

/ Newbie seeks Wisdom and Basic ground rules #3  
Hi Dave,

Learn all about how your equipment works, know all the grease points, where to check oil levels in the engine, trans, diff, etc. Learn about tire pressures and what works best for the jobs you do in the soil you work in. Much like an aircraft pilot, you should know how your machine reacts to weight/load (pilots do a weight and balance pre-flight of their cargo and passengers). be careful when working on hills, keep yourself going straight up and down the hill when applicable.

Most of all, just get used to the machine by operating it ALOT!!:) Start with little projects so you get the feel of each implement you have, but always start by doing a walk-about of the work area, checking for potential hazards. For example, if you're going to skid a tree out of the forest, watch for dead trees that you may pass close by as your load might catch one and pull it down on top of you. Make sure no people are nearby your mower when you use it. Things like that.

OK, that's alot of things but you will enjoy your machine as you get to know it.

Graham

Last edited:
   / Newbie seeks Wisdom and Basic ground rules #4  
Get more HP than you think you'll need. My tractor is great, but could use at least another 5-7hp...

Can't ditto this one enough.. when you buy too small.. you take a financial hit when trading up..

soundguy

/ Newbie seeks Wisdom and Basic ground rules
Can't ditto this one enough.. when you buy too small.. you take a financial hit when trading up..

soundguy

Thanks, re HP , I have done this as best i could given my budget. part of the reason going with the C series Montana vs the other Montana Line was i could get more HP for my $. So i Feel good about that.

Good reminders on basic Safety and how the machine reacts in different scenarios

Good maintenence and fluid checks etc., I agree, ill keep a good watch on all that, learn what i can about pressures etc.

thanks guys

/ Newbie seeks Wisdom and Basic ground rules #6  
Know also that you will learn something new every day. I just learned yesterday that if your working in a dusty are you might want to blow your filters out twice a day, and check fluids and grease after every 8 hours of use. That coming from the service guy that works on my tractor and see the result of people not listening to him . He told me a guy with a bran new Cat D7 let his guys run it without that advice and was working the tractor on an incline without enough oil in the pan and burned up the engine.

The guy is crying warranty so we'll see, buy checking fluids and grease are a must.

This is coming from a guy who wasn't as conscientious as I should have been, but now that got my attention.

/ Newbie seeks Wisdom and Basic ground rules #7  
Congratulations. I'm pretty new to having a "real" tractor too but I've putzed around with a little one for years. Grease grease grease is one thing I have learned for sure. Also, test all sorts of lifts with the FEL to learn the limits safely vs learning on the job.

I find one thing I have had a hard time disciplining myself with is safety. The urge to jump off and get something while in gear, to leave the FEL or something else in an in use positon while quickly going to get something, not wearing a seat belt, all that sort of stuff. Be safe.

Another thing is let your tractor warm up vs start and go. Also, find out what RPM's to run for various applications.

/ Newbie seeks Wisdom and Basic ground rules #8  
1. When you find yourself in 'tilting' situation, slow down.
2. If you have muddy land, eventually you will get stuck. Have a plan.
3. FluidFilm works great to prevent rust and lubricate those places where grease would just be messy.
4. Consider the ergonomic factors. (neck, back, knees). Take stretch breaks.
5. Get a steering wheel spinner.
6. Keep a fire extinguisher with you at all times, but especially in the summer.
7. With attachments, try to visualize what would happen if any one part broke. This becomes even more critical with blades are spinning at high speeds.
8. Keep your fuel tank topped off (and since you're in Ontario, you should probably use an anti-gel agent or #1 fuel in the winter)
9. Use your PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) most importantly hearing protection and eye protection.

/ Newbie seeks Wisdom and Basic ground rules #9  
He told me a guy with a bran new Cat D7 let his guys run it without that advice and was working the tractor on an incline without enough oil in the pan and burned up the engine.

Ah, I learned a bit about this on Saturday, but my oil gauge gave me ample warning, when I climbed up a small bank at the end of a plow run, the oil pressure suddenly started bouncing until I levelled out - checked oil and found it over a whole quart low! Good thing to consider! You really do learn something every day! ;)

Dave, where are you in N Ont? I'm in Dryden...

/ Newbie seeks Wisdom and Basic ground rules #10  
spinning blades and shafts will get you in a second. and don't have any mercy.

soundguy

Congratulations. I'm pretty new to having a "real" tractor too but I've putzed around with a little one for years. Grease grease grease is one thing I have learned for sure. Also, test all sorts of lifts with the FEL to learn the limits safely vs learning on the job.

I find one thing I have had a hard time disciplining myself with is safety. The urge to jump off and get something while in gear, to leave the FEL or something else in an in use positon while quickly going to get something, not wearing a seat belt, all that sort of stuff. Be safe.

Another thing is let your tractor warm up vs start and go. Also, find out what RPM's to run for various applications.