HST pedal pressure

/ HST pedal pressure #1  

richarsm

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1750M
I've had my JD2305 for about a year now, but I'm definitely a tractor newbie. I've spent a lot of time reading other posts but haven't been able to find any that address the pedal "feel" of an HST.

I'd like to know how to properly operate the HST. I know that more pedal equals a higher gear, but how do I know if I'm overstressing the tranny? When I drive my tractor, if I feel any type of pressure on the pedal I ease off it for fear of damaging something. Is this necessary? I've read several other posts that say you can put the pedal to the floor, and if it's over-stressing, the pump will just bypass. How do you know if it's bypassing? Our property has a fairly steep slope in the back that causes the tractor to slow and the tranny whine to get significantly louder, but the engine never bogs down. Am I babying this thing? Is it possible for me to tear it up by really stomping down on the pedal?

/ HST pedal pressure #2  
Not quite sure of the answer to your question but I learned that using high enough RPM's is very important for HST. Does your manual say anything about that?

/ HST pedal pressure #3  
I think you're on to it. IMHO if the engine looses RPM, you need to increase the throttle and/or let up on the HST.

Mike

/ HST pedal pressure #4  
I'd agree, you need to learn what is "enough" RPMs to keep it from bogging down, and go from there... There are a couple steep hills where in 2nd gear high range (NH has a high/low range electric selector available in both gears) my tractor just isn't happy at full speed. So be it :).

One nasty thing I have discovered with multiple HST drives (Kubota & New Holland) is that when you bog down real bad (engaging a pile, for example), you will feel the pedal "fade away to the floor" as you lose power. This can result in a stall real easy if you aren't careful. Not the end of the world, but annoying.

-Tom

/ HST pedal pressure
I'm really not following. What you all are describing is the exact opposite of what happens. The engine never bogs down, and the pedal becomes more difficult to push. It definitely doesn't 'fade to the floor'. This is with the transmission in low range. I almost never operate in high range.

/ HST pedal pressure #6  
I'm really not following. What you all are describing is the exact opposite of what happens. The engine never bogs down, and the pedal becomes more difficult to push. It definitely doesn't 'fade to the floor'. This is with the transmission in low range. I almost never operate in high range.

Huh... I am guessing that John Deere has set up their HST differently, then. I do recall something about theirs being set up to "not stall out under heavy load", but don't recall the details. Perhaps another owner of a "green machine" can enlighten us... :)

/ HST pedal pressure #7  
personally, I don't pay any attention to the "feel" of the pedal... It's easy to tell by the sound of the engine if you have it stressed... increase the throttle and/or shift to mid-range...

/ HST pedal pressure #8  
That describes my 2320.