Grade Too Steep To Mow Sideways?

/ Grade Too Steep To Mow Sideways? #1  

robertm

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2660
Now that I've replaced my Allis 310 garden tractor with a new B7500, I'm having to "re-learn" how to mow my ditch. Before, I had to hang my kiester off the seat on the 310 to mow, but on a B7500 it's a little hard to do.
My Dad mows his ditch of comparable slope with a 245DT wih no problem, but for me, the pucker factor starts to kick in. I put the 7500 in 4WD (or should I say front-wheel assist) and never loose traction, and never feel like a wheel is coming off the ground, but I still feel unsure.
Is this a case of being unfamiliar with a new tractor? I assume CUT's should be more stable than a garden tractor due to overall wheelbase and weight advantages, but you all know what "assume" means.
Should I get a tiltmeter? Where? What are the acceptable ranges? Where should the real ranges for the pucker factor start and the "Oh, Sh*&%$#@!" stop?

P.S. Any Ideas on what a mint Allis-Chalmers 310 with a 42" mower and 42" snow blower is worth, or where I can find a value? Maybe it is worth more as an antique? Or parted out to a parts supplier?

/ Grade Too Steep To Mow Sideways? #2  
Excuse me.....

If you "feel unsure" about it....

DON'T DO IT. Is there another way to mow it? Pushmower, weed wacker? etc. etc.

-Mike Z.

/ Grade Too Steep To Mow Sideways? #3  
Try one of these!

Attachments

• 47-160338-SidearmCutter.jpg
    47-160338-SidearmCutter.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 340
   / Grade Too Steep To Mow Sideways? #4  
Mhhh, regarding -.1

Can you provide make and model number and degrees of operation? The size is MOST impressive. Looks perfect.
Thanks for the nice shot! /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif

-Mike Z.

/ Grade Too Steep To Mow Sideways? #5  
Mike,

The best I can do is provide a link <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=buildit&Number=160259&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=>Side Arm Cutter</A> to the thread that discusses it. It's a homemade cutter. Maybe you could send an private message to the poster of the thread and he can give you some idea. The thread does include his web page that has some terriffic photos and descriptions about the cutter and other projects he did.

/ Grade Too Steep To Mow Sideways? #6  
For what is's worth, there are spots on my property that used to scare me to death with my little GT235.. but with the new 4300 I drive over these without a second thought. I presume it's wider, and I have the rear wheels set to the wide position. But my impression is that the JD 4300 is MUCH more stable than the smaller GT235. I still get nervous mowing next to the ditch beside the road, so what I do is mow back and forth... backing over the ditch with the rear mower. No problem at all.

Don't know if this helps.....

/ Grade Too Steep To Mow Sideways? #7  
"Is this a case of being unfamiliar with a new tractor? I assume CUT's should be more stable than a garden tractor due to overall wheelbase and weight advantages, but you all know what "assume" means.
Should I get a tiltmeter? "

I would definitely get a tiltmeter!!!
Besides helping you stay out of trouble, you may find those "pucker factor" slopes aren't much at all...well within the 15°-20° limits. I did...
Your butt is quite a bit higher off the ground. That little slope feels a lot worse as you get further from the ground. No doubt you felt the same way when you first used your riding mower.
You'll become more accustomed to the 7500. Some of those side slopes will become no problem..others, you'll back up and down (that's what I have to do on sections of my property).

That 7500 is a nice tractor...I'm sure you're going to enjoy it!!!

By the way...the first times you mow...you may find it takes longer to do the job. This is just your learning curve. Don't sweat it!!!

/ Grade Too Steep To Mow Sideways? #8  
Safety Reminder - Wear Seat Belt

/ Grade Too Steep To Mow Sideways? #9  
<font color=blue>"well within the 15°-20° limits"</font color=blue>

Is there a specific angle beyond which you are tempting fate and within which you are safe? Does it vary by tractor? I have a JD 4200 with R4's. What is the actual limit on that unit? Is it the same with tire stems set out or in? If not, what are the magic numbers each way?

A tiltmeter doesn't do me much good without this information.

/ Grade Too Steep To Mow Sideways? #10  
RBR Manufacturing (I hope I spelled that right...someone please correct this if I'm wrong) puts the limit at 20° with the caution at 15°. RBR makes the tiltmeters (Carver sells them, by the way). RBR quotes ANSI specs for the side slope requirements for tractors, but I don't have the instructions that I got with my tiltmeter handy.
There have been numerous threads on this issue, by the way. One of interest was called Best Tractor for Mountain Work or something close. There must have been close to 100 responses to that thread.