Cleaning Ditch

/ Cleaning Ditch #1  

32Ford

Tractor
Farmtrac 300DTC
My daughter has a 30 acre hobby farm. It is a combination of highland, lowland, and some wooded. There is a drainage ditch that goes thru the lowland that over many years has started to fill up with dirt. I would like to start cleaning out the ditch. I have a 30HP Farmtrac tractor with shuttle shift, FEL & 4WD.

My question is:
Do I clean out the ditch working parallel to it or do I work perpindicular to the ditch?

Thanks

/ Cleaning Ditch #2  
How long and wide is this ditch? Trees grown up in the ditch? I remember back in the 60s, grandpaw hired a dozer man with a rear-facing front blade that he used to drive straight into the ditch, lower the blade and drag it out. Then the spoil had to be spread out so the surface water would drain into the cleaned out ditch. You might be better off hiring this done by someone with an excavator.

/ Cleaning Ditch #3  
Depends a lot on the ditch. I have found that the fastest approach with a large ditch (one your tractor fits in width wise) is to wait until the dry season and then drive in it using the fel to clean things out. This is quick and efficient. With smaller ditches or during wet season you can approach the ditch from a perpendicular perspective and scoop with the fel. This just takes time because you are constantly repositioning.

If you have a very shallow ditch you can use a tilted back blade and run along each side pulling dirt and stuff up and out. Be careful if you do it this way - must be shallow so you don't risk tipping. Good Luck!

/ Cleaning Ditch
Depends a lot on the ditch. I have found that the fastest approach with a large ditch (one your tractor fits in width wise) is to wait until the dry season and then drive in it using the fel to clean things out. This is quick and efficient. With smaller ditches or during wet season you can approach the ditch from a perpendicular perspective and scoop with the fel. This just takes time because you are constantly repositioning.

If you have a very shallow ditch you can use a tilted back blade and run along each side pulling dirt and stuff up and out. Be careful if you do it this way - must be shallow so you don't risk tipping. Good Luck!

Thanks for the reply. The ditch originally was probably 6' wide, maybe 2' deep. I like your thought on using a rear blade tilted. I would consider this ditch to be shallow, would you agree? There are weeds growing, no trees. Would it make sense to break up the dirt in thre ditch first?

I do want to try this project rather than hiring someone, I am retired and bought the tractor to play with this type of project in mind.

Thanks

/ Cleaning Ditch #5  
The object is to remove the dirt. I would either get down in the ditch with the FEL and scoop it out or approach from the side and do the same.
Don't leave the sides too steep or they will collapse back in and try to get some grass growing on the sides to minimize erosion.
Up here the township tends to do their ditch cleaning in the fall, removing any sod that has grown during the summer. Then the dirt washes back in which means that they have to do it all over next year..Job security...

/ Cleaning Ditch #6  
Your ditch sounds like it could be done with your blade just fine as long as there aren't any larger roots or stumps/rocks etc. in it. I normally drag the ditch with the boxblade tilted as far as I can until I get a good box full, stop and drop it, get it out with the loader, get back in the ditch and continue on. When you get down to the final grading you'll be able to drag a long way before having to use the loader to remove the pile. Your tires will help pack the very bottom of the ditch as you go too, then you can seed or rock your ditch as necessary for your situation. The max. tilt on most boxblades will give you a nice, gradual swale so it won't erode so quickly. If you need a deeper/steeper ditch due to space limitations or whatever it will be a little more tedious but do-able with your loader. I have used my loader to dig some pretty large holes and run some ditches in the past but it takes patience & practice on your loader to make a consistent ditch working perpendicular to it. Since your ditch is only about 3' or 4' wide on one side, it will be real tough getting in the ditch parallel and getting the proper angle of your bucket for digging, it will greatly widen the ditch in the long run.I'd just experiment some and see what works best for you.

/ Cleaning Ditch #7  
I clean out one of my ditches other day almost same condition you want to do..60' long by foot an half wide by 2' deep.

I 45 scraper blade made four passes to loosen dirt than bucket the ditch,than use bucket to smooth banks follow by driving slowly half of tractor in ditch to pack the bottom...didn't come out to bad. :)

/ Cleaning Ditch #8  
Making a ditch.:D

Attachments

• drainage trench 3.JPG
    drainage trench 3.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 2,198
  • drainage trench 2.JPG
    drainage trench 2.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 1,638
   / Cleaning Ditch #9  
Egon.
Hope the right arm didn't ache to much. ;)