Help -broke bead

/ Help -broke bead #1  

newbury

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota's - B7610, M4700
Background -
Bought my tractor April 18, 09. Piddeled around in the yard for 2 hours run time.
Tires were fine
Bought a BH from Dickinson Equipment in Fredericksburg, Virginia.
Guy picks it up, drops it off, when he drops it off he says that the rear tire was leaking, and I should have it "loaded".
I parked the tractor (about 50 feet) and due to constant rain did not get to play with it.
Moved it today (again about 50 feet).
Stopped. Tire is FLAT.
Tried to pump it up but air just leaks out around bead.
Dickinson Equipment in Fredericksburg, Virginia suggests a tire repair service for a minimum of $125.

Are there other alternatives? Jack it up, slime and inflate?

/ Help -broke bead #2  
I guess there are several alternatives, but personally, I'd jack it up and inflate it, then use soapy water to see if I could find a leak. Now with the bead broke, sometimes it's a bit difficult to get the bead seated to start inflating. I've seen that problem solved with massive quantities of grease all the way around; too messy to suit me. What I'd do, if I had to, is put a ratchet strap around the outer perimeter of the tires to squeeze the middle of the tread until it started to take air, then quickly release the ratchet strap.

/ Help -broke bead #3  
If its on a BH at least you can use the landing gear to raise it up off the ground. If you do get the bead to re-seat then find the leak (soapy water)and go from there.
When you are using the strap to squeeze it you may have to pound on the tire to equalize the tension around the tire and if it starts to inflate REMOVE the strap ASAP. When it happened to me (out at a friends) we had to use a strap plus latex caulking to get it to catch.

/ Help -broke bead #4  
It will also help if you can take the valve stem out. That will give you more air flow to help seat the bead. Good luck.

/ Help -broke bead #6  
the not safe way but works great method is spray a little starting fluid in the tire and have a match on the end of long handle and it will ignite and expand so fast it will seat your tire on the rim.........again.......prolly not real safe!!!!!!!!

/ Help -broke bead #7  
if there are any used tire dealers nearby...check and see if they have any of the "sticky stuff" they use on old rusted rims to help the bead seal...

I was having a terrible time with an old pick-up truck untiil I bought some used tires and they used the stuff...sorry I am not sure what it is...it is not grease...

/ Help -broke bead #8  
I have used the strap on different size tires and i think it works great.

I also used the starting fluid and put fire to tissue paper & then "BOOM' you have air....But really it isn't safe, only used that on tractor trailer tires.

The strap should help.

/ Help -broke bead #9  
When I had the under ground power run to my house, the guy clipped a stump and broke the bead, he called for a service truck and they tried everything they could think of but could not get it to seal, I jokingly said I have some caulking they both looked at me and said get it, they used two tubes and hit it with air and it sealed right up. The guy from the power company was so relieved he loaded me up with electric tape to show his appreciation.

Have fun

/ Help -broke bead #10  
Jack it up and put a ratchet strap around it. You have to get the tension just right and you may have to message the tire a bit to get everything to line up properly. You just need the tire to touch the rim all the way around on both sides. As soon as the tire starts to seat, remove the air chuck and let air out of the tire before you try to remove the strap or you will be in for a big surprise! You should then be able to air up the tire to seat the bead, then to the proper inflation.