1975 TROY BUILT ROTO TILLER

/ 1975 TROY BUILT ROTO TILLER #1  

Golden Eagle

I have a 1975 TROY BUILT ROTO TILLER and I loved it when I got it back in 1975 it would go through the hardest Clay soil without bucking. It came with a 6 Horse Tech. Engine on it yes it is a Horse. A few years ago more like 10 years ago I had to put a new engine on it and they put a Brig 5 horse on it, I have the hardest time tilling my garden even when I brake the ground up with a pick, it just does not have the guts to go through the hard soil. They tell me that the engine is OK, I say why can't it go through the hard soil and they just tell me that it is OK. I disagree with them. Can someone please tell me the answer to this? Just this past week I was tilling my garden and it hit a old cable TV cable and it did not have the guts to pull it out, it just stilled.

I would like to see it back in top running shape again and go through the hard clay like it did when it was new.

Please help me out here? :confused::confused: :mad: :mad:

/ 1975 TROY BUILT ROTO TILLER #2  
Sounds like you need more HP

I have the same tiller, around 1990 my engine blew up, I had a old 9 HP Kohler so made a adapter plate and hooked it up,she cuts through one inch roots with barely a hic-up at about half the RPM of the old Techumsa.

Good luck

/ 1975 TROY BUILT ROTO TILLER #3  
G'day you are definately down on hp different manufacturers rate their engines differently your 5 hp briggs is prob the equiv of 4.5 tecumseh or 4 hp honda sometimes i wish that the ratings were done by an independent facility then there might be some uniformity to them. The only way to get it back to new is to repower:(. Best of luck:)

Jon

/ 1975 TROY BUILT ROTO TILLER
What would be the best engine for me to get I differently like HONDA I feel that they are one of the best engines out there besides KOHLER. What would be the right size engine for my HORSE? How much money am I talking?

G'day you are definately down on hp different manufacturers rate their engines differently your 5 hp briggs is prob the equiv of 4.5 tecumseh or 4 hp honda sometimes i wish that the ratings were done by an independent facility then there might be some uniformity to them. The only way to get it back to new is to repower:(. Best of luck:)

Jon

/ 1975 TROY BUILT ROTO TILLER #5  
These engines live a hard life. Their highest load comes when the machine is tipped to till deepest, maybe 35 degrees off vertical. I'd check with manufacturers before I'd put money and time into a conversion.
BTW your huge green font is a bit hard on the eyes.
Jim

/ 1975 TROY BUILT ROTO TILLER #6  
These engines live a hard life. Their highest load comes when the machine is tipped to till deepest, maybe 35 degrees off vertical. I'd check with manufacturers before I'd put money and time into a conversion.
BTW your huge green font is a bit hard on the eyes.
Jim

Green is nice for me but a bit smaller or less bold would be more soothing. Having said that I do like my tractor to be orange and my rototiller to be blue (BCS)