Default 1975 TROY BUILT ROTO TILLER

I have a 1975 TROY BUILT ROTO TILLER and I loved it when I got it back in 1975 it would go through the hardest Clay soil without bucking. It came with a 6 Horse Tech. Engine on it yes it is a Horse. A few years ago more like 10 years ago I had to put a new engine on it and they put a Brig 5 horse on it, I have the hardest time tilling my garden even when I brake the ground up with a pick, it just does not have the guts to go through the hard soil. They tell me that the engine is OK, I say why can't it go through the hard soil and they just tell me that it is OK. I disagree with them. Can someone please tell me the answer to this? Just this past week I was tilling my garden and it hit a old cable TV cable and it did not have the guts to pull it out, it just stilled.

I would like to see it back in top running shape again and go through the hard clay like it did when it was new.

Please help me out here?

Silver Member

Default Re: 1975 TROY BUILT ROTO TILLER

Sounds like you need more HP

I have the same tiller, around 1990 my engine blew up, I had a old 9 HP Kohler so made a adapter plate and hooked it up,she cuts through one inch roots with barely a hic-up at about half the RPM of the old Techumsa.

Good luck

G'day you are definately down on hp different manufacturers rate their engines differently your 5 hp briggs is prob the equiv of 4.5 tecumseh or 4 hp honda sometimes i wish that the ratings were done by an independent facility then there might be some uniformity to them. The only way to get it back to new is to repower. Best of luck

Jon

What would be the best engine for me to get I differently like HONDA I feel that they are one of the best engines out there besides KOHLER. What would be the right size engine for my HORSE? How much money am I talking?

Quote Originally Posted by banjodunn View Post
    G'day you are definately down on hp different manufacturers rate their engines differently your 5 hp briggs is prob the equiv of 4.5 tecumseh or 4 hp honda sometimes i wish that the ratings were done by an independent facility then there might be some uniformity to them. The only way to get it back to new is to repower. Best of luck

Jon

Tractor
    1993 NH 2120 (the best), 1974 MF 135 (sold, but solid), 1947 Farmall A (bought, sold, bought back, sold again), 1956 MH50 lbt (sold, in 1980, darn it)

These engines live a hard life. Their highest load comes when the machine is tipped to till deepest, maybe 35 degrees off vertical. I'd check with manufacturers before I'd put money and time into a conversion.
    BTW your huge green font is a bit hard on the eyes.
    Jim
    "Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly" Mae West

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jimmysisson View Post
    These engines live a hard life. Their highest load comes when the machine is tipped to till deepest, maybe 35 degrees off vertical. I'd check with manufacturers before I'd put money and time into a conversion.
    BTW your huge green font is a bit hard on the eyes.
    Jim
    Green is nice for me but a bit smaller or less bold would be more soothing. Having said that I do like my tractor to be orange and my rototiller to be blue (BCS)