Security & Theft Equipment Stolen

/ Equipment Stolen #61  
The problem in this area is most things like this go to NY or Baltimore & are now on a container ship headed overseas. It really isnt much to ship a container over, there is a guy that come into my sled dealer & buys every late model snowmobile he can get his hands on & ships em over to Russia to sell for huge money.

/ Equipment Stolen #62  
What they do around here is put up a VERY TALL pole in the center of the area that they want to watch and have multiple cameras on the top of the pole, along with HUGE signs that say YOU ARE BEING VIDEO TAPED.

Also I figure they have other cameras that you are NOT aware of.

If I was a thief, I know the cameras or threat of them would scare me away. If the pole was in a prominent position ( right in there face ) they would see it during the day as they were scoping out your location.

With cameras today you can actually watch your business from your home via the net, and actually control the cameras from home - Zoom in , turn left right, up down etc.

Also they are motion cameras that when they go off they alarm at your computer at home, along with a security company so you are both alerted at the same time.

/ Equipment Stolen
Got an email from the dealer association. Seems they think alot of this stuff maybe off to other dealerships and being resold as if it was new equipment. I know we've had stuff in the past that they thought was headed towards a port for shipping abroad.

/ Equipment Stolen #64  
How come they, or somebody don't set up a tractor and track it using GPS. It just might track it to another dealership, or container yard. Then put a set of eyeballs on the yard and monitor and log in all traffic. They could even GPS the container for world wide tracking. Even one of the owners might have all his relatives and in-laws with brand new tractors. Just don't tell the owner about the second GPS, located in the tire, it being self powered by rotation of the tires. or a year long battery.

Sir, would you drive that tractor over here. Yep, that's the one, arrest him, but first, run over both feet with the tractor. Darn, man, how come you put both feet under a moving tractor. That is some tough luck. I can't believe you did that.

/ Equipment Stolen #65  
JJ, as usual, you are asking the right question....

Mercedes Benz once published a research in the early nineties claiming that 30% of their cars ended up in theft with only 5% being retreived.

That means 25% of its production went to criminal loss...

Now imagine they secure their cars so they cannot be stolen.

- 25% less production. less revenue etc

- no reasons for insurance companies to ask that high rates, so loss of profit there also (with the risk indurance companies simply dont offer insurance for your products leaving you with no customers that can drive your products legally)

- no more existance of aftermarket security systems, car park security etc

- disarming of a leakproof security system depends on people, in this case the owners. A logical result (and also seen in the last years with improved security systems) is that criminals make personal attacks (home jacking, car jacking etcetc) to get through the security barrier. That puts your customers life in danger so they wont buy your cars anymore.
(i know a guy that was home jacked 4 times in 2 year because of his cars... too many guns on his head, moved to an anonimous flat and drives a VW passat now)

sick world that wont change i guess.

:)

/ Equipment Stolen #66  
How come they, or somebody don't set up a tractor and track it using GPS. It just might track it to another dealership, or container yard. Then put a set of eyeballs on the yard and monitor and log in all traffic. They could even GPS the container for world wide tracking. Even one of the owners might have all his relatives and in-laws with brand new tractors. Just don't tell the owner about the second GPS, located in the tire, it being self powered by rotation of the tires. or a year long battery.

Sir, would you drive that tractor over here. Yep, that's the one, arrest him, but first, run over both feet with the tractor. Darn, man, how come you put both feet under a moving tractor. That is some tough luck. I can't believe you did that.

Mounting two gps's in every piece of equipment in a large dealership plus the associated equipment needed for the system would probably increase the sales price of each piece of equipment over $500. This could lead to loss of sales where the dealer could lose more than if several units were stolen.

There has to be a cheaper way for dealers to protect themselves.

If you have hundreds of pieces of equipment, you could just set up 2 or 3 pieces as bait, but Murphy's Law dictates that the thieves would get other pieces instead.

/ Equipment Stolen #67  
What do you think would happen if someone put a steel expandable plug in the exhaust system. Would they be able to start the tractor. I doubt it. How about a magnetic switch. Tractor will not start unless the correct magnetic key were used.

I believe that most cell phones have GPS, and that is how they can locate you sometimes. Use it on a tractor, and then you can even talk to the thief, saying things like, hey dip stick, look to the East for incoming.