Oil & Fuel Oil Change Interval

/ Oil Change Interval #1  

Motorcop

Tractor
New Holland TN55
Hi guys,
I'm new to this forum so this post may be in the wrong place, but, I just bought this used NH TN55 with 206 hours on it. I haven't had time to pick up the owner/operators manual as it didn't come with one. Anyone know what the oil and filter change interval should be for this machine? It will be used in NE Texas primarily for bush hogging twenty acres and other odd chores around my weekend get away place.

Any help with this little issue and any other information that you guys think might be useful would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

/ Oil Change Interval #2  
Normal for a tractor would be change oil every 50 hours. Or if you use it less than that, then once a year.

/ Oil Change Interval #3  
FWIW, Kubota is every 100 hours. It's probably a good idea to go ahead and change the oil if you don't know when it was last done.

You can probably call the service dept at your local dealership and they can tell you what's recommended for your unit.

Ken

/ Oil Change Interval #4  
Yes, call the local NH service dept. and they can give you the exact information. There are a bunch of NH operators manuals available on Ebay all the time; about $20.:D

/ Oil Change Interval #5  
Just a piece of advice, Oil filters are cheap, change it every time you change the oil, not every other time like the factory recommends.

/ Oil Change Interval #6  
Toadhill,

on risk of starting a endless discussion...

filters work better and better as they clog up with dirt particles.

Therefore to filter out the smaller dirt in the engine (which gets flushed and cleaned off by the new detergents in the new oil) will be better catched using an the "old" filter.

Filter changing interval is defined by flow restriction, when the flow becomes too much restricted it could starve an engine. but that is way out of the 100 or 200 hours zone.

BTW, lots of transport trucks are now past the 1 million km mark on 1 filter and no oil change. The base princip of these being a many times bigger filter surface and the increased quality of todays available oils.

Why you dont see this advertised? ask schell and BP...

My 1953 tatra has a mesh filter with a scraper mechanism that would engage everytime you press the clutch. (like a worm ratched drive pusching a scraper over the mesh)
In the service manual no oil changes are mentioned. Once a year you take off the sump and clean it out (the crud from the scraper is pushed there way below the pump pickup
So what about oil? add 1 liter every 500km.
(engine has so big tolerances that it simply burns that much oil and you "refresh" 20% every 500km.

We are spoiled and brainwashed on oilchanges I guess. The non tolerant low spec old engines needed a change every 5000km. The close tolerance high efficient and power squeezed new ones every 30 000km.
evolution.

/ Oil Change Interval #7  
Just a piece of advice, Oil filters are cheap, change it every time you change the oil, not every other time like the factory recommends.

I heard that the efficiency of oil filters improves with use up to a point. That's why they suggest every second change. Anyone else heard that from a reliable source?

/ Oil Change Interval #8  
Efficiency is a funny way to look at it. The filter becomes more restricted which is bad, but since it is more restricted it can catch smaller particles which is good. The "efficiency" of filter then must be better defined. You don't want a filter that efficiently traps 99% of the particles if it overly obstructs flow.

A plugged up filter will usually open a bypass mechanism where the unfiltered oil will pass through and lube the engine. The dirty oil is better than no oil. I change my oil and filter each 100 hours.

/ Oil Change Interval #10  
Just checked for sure and the John Deere 4520 book says every 200 hours.Oil and filter.
This is using the J.D. Plus 50 oil. also mentions once a year if less than 200 hours.
ken