grinding gears

/ grinding gears #1  

dps2001

I have a Bolens G152 and almost everytime I change gears the they grind. I have had this tractor for 2 years and talked to the mechanic that worked on it before I bought it. He said that he had replaced the clutch a few months before I bought the tractor. I have tried adjusting the linkage, but it did not help. Any ideas on what might cause this problem or how to fix it?

/ grinding gears #2  
I don't know anything about that tractor but generally when a transmission grinds it is one of two things. The synchronizers are worn out or the clutch is not fully disengaging when the pedal is pushed to the floor.

Check the linkage at all pivot points. See if any of the holes where linkpins or pivot pins are located have become elongated (egg shaped). An elongated hole at a linkage or pivot point will prevent a full stroke at the clutch fork even if the pedal freeplay is correct.

The length of the push at the throwout bearing is very short so a sloppy linkage can really cause a problem.

/ grinding gears #3  
Does it even have a synchromesh tranny? An awful lot of tractors don't. Try coming to a full and complete stop before shifting gears, if they don't grind you don't have a synchromesh. There is another way, that is double clutching and changing the revs to match the gear speeds, pretty tough until you've done it for about 20 years.

/ grinding gears #4  
As the truck drivers say, " If you can't find 'em, grind 'em! They'll make 'em out of rubber next year! " ;)