R4's cracking

/ R4's cracking #1  

Ridgewalker

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH TC29
I recently noticed that my rear R4's are starting to crack around the lugs in the center of the tires.

Has anyone ever tried to repair the cracks? If so how did you do it? TIA

/ R4's cracking #2  
The local tire shop here, les schwab, call those cracks "torque cracks". Depending on the age of tire or severity of the cracks, usually not much can be done. Generally, they can go pretty long if the rest of the tire is good shape in normal service. Long as your not pushing, pulling heavy loads and running over obstacles constantly and making the tires spin, they should last a long time. Only real fix is replacing the tire.

/ R4's cracking #3  
I recently noticed that my rear R4's are starting to crack around the lugs in the center of the tires.

Has anyone ever tried to repair the cracks? If so how did you do it? TIA

So is the problem with the rim or tire????

/ R4's cracking #4  
It would be with the tire for the problem. A little less traction or stress would help them last longer.

/ R4's cracking #6  
Up here we call that "sun cracking" and while we might try to park in the shade a little more there is nothing that can be done (so we are told).
Back when I worked in service the rubber suppliers would tell us that all the strength was in the cords, whether it was belts or tires.
Of course back before that as a kid at the service station the boss pointed out that we could always get a sale of a new fan belt by pointing out the cracks on the inside of the belt (to customers that we didn't like)....

/ R4's cracking #7  
I've seen some severely cracked tires just keep on a going, keeping tires out of the sunlight when not in use will go a long way in the life of a tire.