Hooking up pto shaft arrgh!

/ Hooking up pto shaft arrgh! #21  
Off-topic: Is there such a thing as a hydraulically operated mower?

Yes. I have a hydraulic finish mower and hydraulic brush cutter.

Attachments

• PTPackage.jpg
    PTPackage.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 124
   / Hooking up pto shaft arrgh! #22  
A plastic bag and rubber band will help preserve the end if you can't store it inside.. just lube the end well and slip a ziplock or similar bag over, and rubber band in place..

soundguy

/ Hooking up pto shaft arrgh! #23  
The spring loaded locking pin is missing on my mower.

Tractor supply carries replacement locking pins for many styles of shafts. You might bring the tractor half of the PTO shaft in and have them find you a replacement locking pin assy.

Aaron Z

/ Hooking up pto shaft arrgh! #24  
My experience has been that the main difficulty is aligning the splines which usually involves rotating either the PTO drive on the tractor or the implement. Once I get them aligned the shaft will usually slip on partly and I can deal with seating the shaft fully to lock in place. Of course the safety shrouds on the tractor and implement shaft don't help with easy access either. I'd be very hesitant to use files, grinders, etc. to "modify" the drive splines - but an occasional wire brush cleaning and plenty of grease is good.

/ Hooking up pto shaft arrgh! #25  
If there are burs.. a wire brush won't get you very far.. but a couple swipes with a file will... same with heavy rust.

soundguy

/ Hooking up pto shaft arrgh! #26  
I agree with Soundguy, the file is used to scrape the rust out of the groves and across the ridges. You are not modifying anything.

There are several different type connectors for the shaft. Some of them have the push button, and others have a sleeve that you turn about a quarter turn, push on and then release.

/ Hooking up pto shaft arrgh! #27  
It just takes a few times to get the hang of it.

My main problem is coordinating the twist of the coupler to get the shaft to lock because the shaft shield is in the way. I saw a neat new version shield in a tractor dealer that allows you to slide the shield back out of the way for an unobstructed hook-up.

That is why we removed ours. :) I would be interested in seeing the shield you describe though.

/ Hooking up pto shaft arrgh! #28  
The best thing I,ve found to use is the aeresol carb cleaner with the little straw nozzle to clean all the hard to get areas to clean off the old grime & surface rust . use a little brass wire brush to get to the hard to get spots .

Then put Powdered graphite on the telescoping shaft & both ends ( I use a cheap plastic mustard dispensor ) to apply the graphite powder. Seems to work much better then grease or oil. :D . Bob

Now that is something I may try. Used synthetic brake grease last time, worked OK, but would like to try the graphite. Where do you buy it? Auto parts store??

/ Hooking up pto shaft arrgh! #29  
A plastic bag and rubber band will help preserve the end if you can't store it inside.. just lube the end well and slip a ziplock or similar bag over, and rubber band in place..

soundguy

I used to do that with my brush hog when I had a conventional tractor and implements, since I only used it once or twice a year. Works good.

/ Hooking up pto shaft arrgh!
I wire brished it out today, it went on snugly. Couldn't find the right locking pin, no one had one in stock, just happened I had a push lawnmower axel in my junk bin it fit right in put a nut on it and went to work. When it was time to unhook the shaft slid off smoothly. I put the pin and the end of the pto shaft in a plastic bag, well greased of course. Should hook right up next time. Thanks for all the useful information. I was so happy I even washed my tractor before I put it away.