Jobs you used to do

/ Jobs you used to do #1  

PA hayseed

Platinum Member
Tractor
nx5010 hst cab
The other day I got out my sledge hammer, mini sledge, and grabbed my t post for my temporary fencing. I put up temp fencing every year around my garden. It just dawned on me that I was working harder and not smarter. So I took my mini sledge and just tapped the tpost into the ground so they didn't fall over. Then I went and got my 45hp t post pounder and went to work. I did all 40 posts in less than a 1/4 of the time I used to do it in.

I went to the house and told my wife I am an idiot. Why didn't that dawn on me a couple of years ago. Heck, I was even using the FEL to pull the posts out at the end of fall last year, and never thought about using the fel to push them in. Guess I just got stuck doing things the same way.

Anyone else got something they used to do by hand that the tractor does now? Other than the obvious shoveling/dumping/carrying.

/ Jobs you used to do #2  
I like the ez-tpost drivers.. it's a piece of about 2.5" heavy wall pipe with a cap welded on the top and 2 handles welded to it.. slide it over post, and pound away with ease.. pounder is weighted and does alot of the work itself.. prevents glancing blows from a sledge from throwing metal bits and making metal spears..

soundguy

/ Jobs you used to do #3  
I like the ez-tpost drivers.. it's a piece of about 2.5" heavy wall pipe with a cap welded on the top and 2 handles welded to it.. slide it over post, and pound away with ease.. pounder is weighted and does alot of the work itself.. prevents glancing blows from a sledge from throwing metal bits and making metal spears..

soundguy

Ya. Those are nice. I wonder how hard it would be to put a hydraulic or pneumatic powered hammer on top of one of those and use the bucket to drop it on the T post and operate it from the seat?

Anyhow, regarding original poster's question.... since I bought my tractor my wheelbarrow is retired. So is my lawn tractor. So is my walk behind snow blower. So is my sidewalk edger. So are most of my shovels. And my leaf blower, too. I used to dig out small stumps by hand, now I use the forks to pry them out. :)

/ Jobs you used to do #4  
I used to use a maul and a wedge...now I use the 3pt pto powered splitter.

My wife used to mix plant food then schlep water around the yard to feed her plants...now she uses the bucket as a mixer.

I love my little orange helper.

/ Jobs you used to do #5  
I used to use a maul and a wedge...now I use the 3pt pto powered splitter.

My wife used to mix plant food then schlep water around the yard to feed her plants...now she uses the bucket as a mixer.

I love my little orange helper.

You got an Oompa-Loompa working at your place???

:D

/ Jobs you used to do #6  
Ya. Those are nice. I wonder how hard it would be to put a hydraulic or pneumatic powered hammer on top of one of those and use the bucket to drop it on the T post and operate it from the seat?

sounds kinda like a post pounder.. except it would be alot easier with tpost vs wood posts.

soundguy

/ Jobs you used to do #7  

soundguy

I've had more experience than I wanted with one of those, and I definitely do NOT want any more experience with them, but yes, they certainly are better than a hammer.

/ Jobs you used to do #8  
ditto.. Got a few thousand feet of t-post enclosed pasture right now.. and boy was it fun!

soundguy

/ Jobs you used to do #9  
I used to use all the help I could get to move the floating dock into the pond every spring, now the FEL handles it all.

/ Jobs you used to do #10  
The other day I got out my sledge hammer, mini sledge, and grabbed my t post for my temporary fencing. I put up temp fencing every year around my garden. It just dawned on me that I was working harder and not smarter. So I took my mini sledge and just tapped the tpost into the ground so they didn't fall over. Then I went and got my 45hp t post pounder and went to work. I did all 40 posts in less than a 1/4 of the time I used to do it in.

I went to the house and told my wife I am an idiot. Why didn't that dawn on me a couple of years ago. Heck, I was even using the FEL to pull the posts out at the end of fall last year, and never thought about using the fel to push them in. Guess I just got stuck doing things the same way.

Anyone else got something they used to do by hand that the tractor does now? Other than the obvious shoveling/dumping/carrying.
Yep, 20 years ago I put in over 100 4x4 fence posts about 3 feet deep by hand then bought a tractor and PHD. I think I've put in 10 posts since. The land is really rocky here and even though the PHD works to a certain degree we still need to do a fair amount by hand.
Now every spring I reset the posts that the frost has brought up using the FEL. Got to tell ya, doing this does like to bend the bottom of the FEL bucket.