Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Platinum Member
    The real central PA everything else is philly or pittsburgh
    Tractor
    DK45 SE HST

Default Jobs you used to do

The other day I got out my sledge hammer, mini sledge, and grabbed my t post for my temporary fencing. I put up temp fencing every year around my garden. It just dawned on me that I was working harder and not smarter. So I took my mini sledge and just tapped the tpost into the ground so they didn't fall over. Then I went and got my 45hp t post pounder and went to work. I did all 40 posts in less than a 1/4 of the time I used to do it in.

I went to the house and told my wife I am an idiot. Why didn't that dawn on me a couple of years ago. Heck, I was even using the FEL to pull the posts out at the end of fall last year, and never thought about using the fel to push them in. Guess I just got stuck doing things the same way.

Anyone else got something they used to do by hand that the tractor does now? Other than the obvious shoveling/dumping/carrying.
    DK45 SE HST, RFM, BB, FEL, PHD, toothbar,rear blade, canopy, pallet forks, 6' tiller, and now I need an addition on my pole building

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Default Re: Jobs you used to do

I like the ez-tpost drivers.. it's a piece of about 2.5" heavy wall pipe with a cap welded on the top and 2 handles welded to it.. slide it over post, and pound away with ease.. pounder is weighted and does alot of the work itself.. prevents glancing blows from a sledge from throwing metal bits and making metal spears..

soundguy

Tractor
    Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    I like the ez-tpost drivers.. it's a piece of about 2.5" heavy wall pipe with a cap welded on the top and 2 handles welded to it.. slide it over post, and pound away with ease.. pounder is weighted and does alot of the work itself.. prevents glancing blows from a sledge from throwing metal bits and making metal spears..

soundguy
    Ya. Those are nice. I wonder how hard it would be to put a hydraulic or pneumatic powered hammer on top of one of those and use the bucket to drop it on the T post and operate it from the seat?

Anyhow, regarding original poster's question.... since I bought my tractor my wheelbarrow is retired. So is my lawn tractor. So is my walk behind snow blower. So is my sidewalk edger. So are most of my shovels. And my leaf blower, too. I used to dig out small stumps by hand, now I use the forks to pry them out.
    MossRoad

Click On My Little Tractor
    To See Pictures And Videos
    Of It In Action!!!

Tractor
    Kubota B2710

I used to use a maul and a wedge...now I use the 3pt pto powered splitter.

My wife used to mix plant food then schlep water around the yard to feed her plants...now she uses the bucket as a mixer.

I love my little orange helper.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    TYM T353 HST / TX3500 Loader

Quote Originally Posted by sixgun View Post
    I used to use a maul and a wedge...now I use the 3pt pto powered splitter.

My wife used to mix plant food then schlep water around the yard to feed her plants...now she uses the bucket as a mixer.

I love my little orange helper.
    You got an Oompa-Loompa working at your place???

TYM T353 HST w/TX3500 Loader / Faver SCX526LT Grapple / Woods BB60X Rotary Mower

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Quote Originally Posted by MossRoad View Post
    Ya. Those are nice. I wonder how hard it would be to put a hydraulic or pneumatic powered hammer on top of one of those and use the bucket to drop it on the T post and operate it from the seat?
    sounds kinda like a post pounder.. except it would be alot easier with tpost vs wood posts.

soundguy

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post

soundguy
    I've had more experience than I wanted with one of those, and I definitely do NOT want any more experience with them, but yes, they certainly are better than a hammer.
    Bird

Tractor

ditto.. Got a few thousand feet of t-post enclosed pasture right now.. and boy was it fun!

soundguy

Tractor
    Kioti DK35, Ford 8N, Oliver Cletrac

I used to use all the help I could get to move the floating dock into the pond every spring, now the FEL handles it all.
    I can't control my day but I can control my attitude.

Tractor
    JD 2320

Quote Originally Posted by PA hayseed View Post
    The other day I got out my sledge hammer, mini sledge, and grabbed my t post for my temporary fencing. I put up temp fencing every year around my garden. It just dawned on me that I was working harder and not smarter. So I took my mini sledge and just tapped the tpost into the ground so they didn't fall over. Then I went and got my 45hp t post pounder and went to work. I did all 40 posts in less than a 1/4 of the time I used to do it in.

I went to the house and told my wife I am an idiot. Why didn't that dawn on me a couple of years ago. Heck, I was even using the FEL to pull the posts out at the end of fall last year, and never thought about using the fel to push them in. Guess I just got stuck doing things the same way.

Anyone else got something they used to do by hand that the tractor does now? Other than the obvious shoveling/dumping/carrying.
    Yep, 20 years ago I put in over 100 4x4 fence posts about 3 feet deep by hand then bought a tractor and PHD. I think I've put in 10 posts since. The land is really rocky here and even though the PHD works to a certain degree we still need to do a fair amount by hand.
    Now every spring I reset the posts that the frost has brought up using the FEL. Got to tell ya, doing this does like to bend the bottom of the FEL bucket.
    JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, FEL Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast