PTO rpm speed/tractor rpms

/ PTO rpm speed/tractor rpms #1  

ajb4266

Tractor
Massey ferguson 1433v
I have a Massey 1433v which I will be running a firewood processor with. The processor requires a maximum 400 rpms at the pto. My tach only shows a setting for 540, if anyone has a system of measuring pto speed at various tractor rpms I would appreciate the help.

Massey 1433v
6' puma snowblower
fransgard forestry winch
japa 370 tr firewood processor

/ PTO rpm speed/tractor rpms #2  
I have a Massey 1433v which I will be running a firewood processor with. The processor requires a maximum 400 rpms at the pto. My tach only shows a setting for 540, if anyone has a system of measuring pto speed at various tractor rpms I would appreciate the help.

Massey 1433v
6' puma snowblower
fransgard forestry winch
japa 370 tr firewood processor

OK - If it's rated at a max of 400 RPM's, I'd stick with 350.

350 is 65% of 540, so If I figured it right - Your 540 RPM rated engine speed, times .65 ought to give you an operating engine speed for 350 RPM at the PTO...

I never claimed to be a Math wizard though...

Hope that helps -

Lunk

/ PTO rpm speed/tractor rpms #3  
Pto speed varies with the engine rpm, but I don't know what the minimum is for your tractor. Maybe Massey might be able to tell you what it is doing at each step in the engine rpm, or the speed at idle. 540 is just where most implements (that are 540 rated) preform the best. I usually bush hog at a lessor speed to prevent destroying something when I find unexpected items.
David from jax

/ PTO rpm speed/tractor rpms #4  
Go buy a cheap bicycle computer and program it for 26" wheels and km/h readout.

Mount the magnet close to the axle casing on the pto shaft using a hose clamp and fix the sensor on the axle casing.

You will read your pto rpm with 1 decimal. 540 being 54.0 km/h
not accurate to the rpm but close enough.

did this this week and it worked great taking out the mystery of my 4 speed pto speed selector.

my 2 cents

edit: if you have a comp as i have you will even find out how many calories you burnt, well in this case; how many calories you did not burn wearing flashy ladypants and riding a 2 wheeler.
makes me feel better.

/ PTO rpm speed/tractor rpms #5  
Go buy a cheap bicycle computer and program it for 26" wheels and km/h readout.

Mount the magnet close to the axle casing on the pto shaft using a hose clamp and fix the sensor on the axle casing.

You will read your pto rpm with 1 decimal. 540 being 54.0 km/h
not accurate to the rpm but close enough.

did this this week and it worked great taking out the mystery of my 4 speed pto speed selector.

my 2 cents

edit: if you have a comp as i have you will even find out how many calories you burnt, well in this case; how many calories you did not burn wearing flashy ladypants and riding a 2 wheeler.
makes me feel better.

Boy is that ironic! I have a Mitsubishi with a 4 speed PTO and did the same thing just two days ago. I even started a thread about it here:PTO RPM Indicator

/ PTO rpm speed/tractor rpms #6  
OK - If it's rated at a max of 400 RPM's, I'd stick with 350.

350 is 65% of 540, so If I figured it right - Your 540 RPM rated engine speed, times .65 ought to give you an operating engine speed for 350 RPM at the PTO...

I never claimed to be a Math wizard though...

Hope that helps -

Lunk

Best advice right here.

The PTO and tractor RPM are directally proportional. Tell us what RPM you engine runs for 540 and we will be able to tell you how many rpm's to run the PTO at 350 or 400

/ PTO rpm speed/tractor rpms #7  
I have one of those Stewart direct measuring indicators. You touch it to a rotating shaft, and it reads out the rpm. There is also a Photo readout device , that when aimed at a white spot, it will read out the rpm. There is also a magnetic sensor to read the pulses from a rotating magnet.

/ PTO rpm speed/tractor rpms #8  
Best advice right here.

The PTO and tractor RPM are directally proportional. Tell us what RPM you engine runs for 540 and we will be able to tell you how many rpm's to run the PTO at 350 or 400

Does it work for two speed, PTO's?

/ PTO rpm speed/tractor rpms #9  
Does it work for two speed, PTO's?

Yes it works for two speed PTO's, as long as you have a baseline.
You just need to know what the pto speed is and @ what rated RPM

Example: PTO on Low speed 540@2300rpm*(Not actual numbers)
PTO on High speed 1000@2300rpm*(All tractors are different)
LOW speed
540/2300=.235
that tells us on low speed that the PTO is turning 23.5% of engine speed.
You can either figure What tractor rpm it takes to get a given PTO speed or you can figure what the pto speed is @ a given tractor RPM.
@2000rpm PTO speed would be 470 (2000 x .235)
If you want say 400rpm PTO (400/.235)=1700rpm

HIGH speed
1000/2300=.435
So @ 2000rpm tractor speed PTO would be (2000 x .435)= 870 PTO rpm
If you wanted 750 pto rpm the tractor would need to run (750/.435)= 1725rpm

All you need to know is what RPM the PTO is and @ what RPM it makes that speed and you can figure the RPM at any other point in the operating range.

/ PTO rpm speed/tractor rpms
thank you to all for the help.With some simple math I do believe that I can solve my problem.