TZ18DA Electrical Problem

/ TZ18DA Electrical Problem #1  

jsjarrett

I have an electrical problem with my TZ18DA. When I turn the ignition switch to the ON position (starter NOT engaged) the 25A fuse blows. This problem happened while I was mowing--the mower suddenly stopped running.

I believe the following is related: With the 25A fuse removed and the ignition switch ON (NO starter) I measure battery voltage on one side of the fuse socket. The voltage goes away with the ignition switch OFF. The other side of the fuse socket shows a ground connection with the ignition switch ON or OFF. I have disconnected the alternator, fuel pump, turn signals, and one of the instrument panel connectors plus every other plug I could find/reach and the ground connection on the fuse socket remains. It is clear to me that the ground reading should not be there.

I am curious if someone else has had this problem, and what fixed it. I have not been able to get to the ignition switch or other plug connections associated with the instrument panel.

Any advice is appreciated by this geezer.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

/ TZ18DA Electrical Problem #2  
Your testing of that one fuse socket shows you've got a direct 'short' to ground! Is that the circuit for an Electro-Clutch for the mower? Sorry, I'm not familiar with the specific unit. ~S

/ TZ18DA Electrical Problem #3  
G'day and welcome to TBN as Sotty said you have got a direct short possibly before any switches you will have to find out what the fuse powers up and work your way through it disconneting switches as you go. Hopefully you will find it nice and easy

Jon

/ TZ18DA Electrical Problem
Your testing of that one fuse socket shows you've got a direct 'short' to ground! Is that the circuit for an Electro-Clutch for the mower? Sorry, I'm not familiar with the specific unit. ~S

Thanks for replying Scotty. I see no reference to an Electro-Clutch in the manual. I think the short is associated with the instrument panel and I have been able to disconnect only one of several cables going there. The other(s) appear very difficult to gain access. That area was never intended to be visited by a human.

Steve

/ TZ18DA Electrical Problem
G'day and welcome to TBN as Sotty said you have got a direct short possibly before any switches you will have to find out what the fuse powers up and work your way through it disconneting switches as you go. Hopefully you will find it nice and easy

Jon

Thanks for replying Jon. Yes, I have been trying to do what you suggest but the job has become close to impossible for me. See my response to Scotty.

Steve

/ TZ18DA Electrical Problem #6  
When the fuse blows, does the tractor still run? And the mower stop? I'm thinking that a 25amp fuse is protecting something more than just indicator lights! That's why I thought of a Electro-Clutch or such! (Maybe I'm just too John Deere oriented) :)

/ TZ18DA Electrical Problem #7  
Steve,
I would like to help you on this, but a schematic diagram is the first thing I like to start with. Not sure if I can add anything to the other posts, but here goes.

A 25-amp fuse will protect something big, like an electric clutch. See if you can locate and disconnect the wire going to the mower or PTO clutch. If the 25-amp fuse protects this line, you will be looking for a medium size wire, maybe as big as 12-gauge. If the short to gnd (or very low resistance) doesn't go away, follow the wire back to the switch or fuse. You should look for pinch points which could have crimped the wire against the frame. Also look for chaffing or rubbing of the wires which can give you the same result. My guess is one of these two things has occurred. Probably not going to be behind the instrument cluster because the wires in this area are usually well secured and routed.

Hope this helps.