Yard leveling help...

/ Yard leveling help... #1  

KTurner

Gold Member
20 years ago or so, there were 6 or 7 fruit trees in the yard, now there's two. I just yanked the last stump out of the ground and hauled it off. Now, I'm trying to level out the high and low spots that were left behind. The available attachments are a 2 bottom plow, a 5 foot blade, a 6 or 7 foot disc (4 sections in an X) and possibly a tooth harrow (back in the treeline, no idea if its usable, probably hasn't been touched in decades).

I thought I'd be able to rough up the ground with the plow, then use the blade to level, but that's not working very well. It probably would have worked if it weren't for all the clumps of grass that keep getting caught on the blade. The soil is sandy if that makes a difference.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Keith

/ Yard leveling help... #2  
Well, being you used the 2 bottom plow already, use your disk disc and that will help break up the sod clumps. Then go look at that harrow and see if it will stay together enough to do a little harrow'n after disc'n. I had kinda the same deal in my yard. I used the 3pt tiller and ground the uneven area till there was no clumps of anything. Then I used an arena harrow, round turning type, to level out the area, threw down some grass seed, rolled it with a barrel filled with some water and now its all level and green.:D

/ Yard leveling help... #3  
Well, being you used the 2 bottom plow already,
1*use your disk disc and that will help break up the sod clumps. Then go look at that harrow and see if it will stay together enough to do a little harrow'n after disc'n. I had kinda the same deal in my yard. I used the 3pt tiller and ground the uneven area till there was no clumps of anything. Then I used an arena harrow, round turning type, to level out the area, threw down some grass seed, rolled it with a barrel filled with some water and now its all level and green.:D
1*Rite On;He is skipping an important step is why he's having a problem .

20 years ago or so, there were 6 or 7 fruit trees in the yard, now there's two. I just yanked the last stump out of the ground and hauled it off. Now, I'm trying to level out the high and low spots that were left behind. The available attachments are a 2 bottom plow, a 5 foot blade, a 6 or 7 foot disc (4 sections in an X) and possibly a tooth harrow (back in the treeline, no idea if its usable, probably hasn't been touched in decades).

I thought I'd be able to rough up the ground with the plow, then use the blade to level, but that's not working very well. It probably would have worked if it weren't for all the clumps of grass that keep getting caught on the blade. The soil is sandy if that makes a difference.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Keith
here is what I use.

/ Yard leveling help... #4  
If you are low on skills the disk harrow is probably your best bet.
It may take a while, but you will be breaking up those clumps of sod.
Do it once a week for about a month and you will probably kill most of the grass and weeds that are there.

That should do it, but again if you are low on skills spin the blade around and use it backwards with the top link pulled in.
Basically use the back of it as a drag to smooth over, not to cut.

/ Yard leveling help... #5  
The first thing you should have done is hit the area with round up last fall. You would not have the clumps of grass to deal with.

/ Yard leveling help... #6  
I had to get a yard ready to plant for a lawn and this is what I did. I disc and tilled then turn the rear blade around to where it like back dragging instead of scooping and made lots-o-passes going crisscross. That got it pretty good. Tryin to fine grade with a rear blade pointing forward is a pain, turning the blade around backwards is like backdragging if you had a frontend loader. Hope I didn't confuse you too badly. bjr

/ Yard leveling help... #7  
A local lawn seeder uses a 16' 8 inch stell I-beam. He has chains welded to the beam, which are offset. Connect to lift arms, and pull around area that is already tilled and just needs low spots filled in. The beam is angled back to one side or the other, and offset. If it is angled to the right, then when he turns to the right pulling loose dirt, and lifts the 3pt., it will dump soil, that has accumalted in the I-beam, right there. Of course this take some practice, but have seen some really good results with this method.