Rotary Cutter Problems

/ Rotary Cutter Problems #1  

duckhunt

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L4240HSTC
I think I may have a problem with my woods heritage cutter. Its only 3 months old, probably 10hrs of cutting mostly grass, small brush, < 1 inch. This past weekend while cutting I hit some sticks/roots and it started to vibrate fairly hard. I stopped PTO and then started back and everything was smooth again. A few passes later and I hit something else root/dirt and the same thing happened only I couldnt make it stop. I stopped everthing, looked underneath, everything looks OK. I ruled out wire, bark, blades too tight, metal bent/broke, shear pin, gear oil etc. Everthing looks brand new. This has happened at least 5 times. The only way I can get everything back balanced it stop everthing, move the cutter blades around, start everything backup (possibly do this twice) and it will balance back out. Is this something that just happens or do you guys think something is wrong with the cutter.

Well I hope I'm not answering my own question, but this is my conclusion, I'm hitting something hard enough to move my blade out line, (thats what is suppose to do right?) and my Mahindra 2816 does not have enough PTO HP to strighten everything up. I'm probably only out of line 1/8 inch or so but it will shake the cutter and tractor. Any ideas?

Thanks,

/ Rotary Cutter Problems
KennyV,

My tractor has no problem running at 540pto rpm (2300 engine rpm). In fact when I hit the sticks I mentioned earlier, my engine never bogged.

/ Rotary Cutter Problems #4  
Try removing the blades and bolts and then starting up the mower. If there is no vibration, then the fault is in the blades. Thoroughly inspect the blades and bolts for any defects while they are off. If the vibration is still there with the blades off, you might have a bent shaft. I would think process of elimination will show the cause of your vibration. Whatever you do, proceed with all caution because rotary cutters are dangerous pieces of equipment. Good luck.

/ Rotary Cutter Problems #5  
No problem with your mower, it's just new and tight.
I had the same problem with mine for the first 100 hours or so. You hit something that allows the blades to swivel a bit and even at normal operating RPM's the blades wont swing out all the way. I used to head for some tall grass or another tree:eek: and that would even things out.:D
It will probably go away with some use but the first few times it happened to me I thought "What the##@"

/ Rotary Cutter Problems #6  
No problem with your mower, it's just new and tight.
I had the same problem with mine for the first 100 hours or so.

Yup! Mine too.

It seems to do this when I use the hog to (unintentionally) plow or eat a dirt clod.

If I lube up the blade pivot points before hogging it seems to help. If not, I just let it stop rotating for a bit and crank up the PTO again. That usually spins the blades out level.

I think your hog is fine.

/ Rotary Cutter Problems #7  
It sounds like your rotary cutter is working as it should. They are designed for the blades to swing back when they encounter something too solid, but should be thrown back out again through centrifical force. When that happens to me, I lift the cutter up away from the problem (stump, etc.) and throttle down for a minute, then power back up. When it speeds back up, we're back in business.

/ Rotary Cutter Problems #8  
Might be new bie use . But this is a new cutter for you. Did you use an existing pto shaft? Was it cut earlier for a another mower?
Safety

/ Rotary Cutter Problems #9  
Hey duckhunt,

Just to reiterate what the others have told you: Nothing is Wrong.

The blades pivot out equally straight on start up, then will "give" or pivot back when an less movable object gets hit. Slowing down & speeding up might take care of it... shutting down & restarting will take care of it.

/ Rotary Cutter Problems
Thanks for all your comments,

Glad to know nothing is wrong. :D