Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default HP to run 4" rotary mower

How many hp tractor do any of you reccomend to run a 4' rotary mower?
    I have a 26 hp gear drive and it will run a rear mount 66" finish mower but not to my satisfaction.
    I'm wondering what it will take to run a 4' rotary(bush hog type) mower satisfactorally with a hydro trans. This will be in waterways and fence rows, some pretty tough mowing.
    Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated.

Bronze Member Therios Pendragon's Avatar
    Tractor
    Yanmar 1500D

Default Re: HP to run 4" rotary mower

I am running my 4' PTO rotary behind my Yanmar 1700D... I would bet it is close to 17HP so I can't imagine that you would have any difficulties. But maybe someone else knows more than I do so let them tell you differently.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Two Glasses of Orange Juice, One Glass of Milk, One MultiVitamin and 37 pints of Guiness provide all required nutrients for the day.... Now THAT is MY kind of statistic!!

Tractor
    Kubota B7800 with FEL

Minimum 5 HP per foot of brush hog. That will be stop and go in thick pasture grass. 6 HP per foot of brush hog will get you through most of the thick pasture and mow down some three inch trees. 7 HP per foot of brush hog will pretty much cruise through anything (diesel motors). Gas tractors won't pull as much as a diesel.

Thanks for the replys, this gives me some idea of what size tractor to rotary mower size is needed.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B7800

What is the PTO HP?

My 30 horse tractor has 24 PTO HP (if I remember correctly - always dicey ) I have a 5 foot mower which works OK except in really tall grass - them I have to cut a couple of times.

Tractor
    A couple

My 26HP/20HP PTO HST rig runs a 5' Bush Hog Razorback just fine. I've had to slow down in heavy stuff and take my time; but otherwise no complaints.
    Paraphrasing Douglas Adams - So long and thanks for all the bacon.

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1215, Toro 266-H, Pennsylvania Panzer, Case 444, Craftsman 14/6

My Massey Ferguson 1215 runs a 4 ft. bush hog quite nicely. I've gone through grass as tall as the tractor and over 1" dia. brush, but not both at the same time. It has nominal 15 hp PTO, but feels like it may be putting out a bit more than 15. The engine is rated at 18.5 hp.
    From now on I will only buy cars that are a silver/grey color. Then I can make all body repairs with Duct Tape.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kioti CK20HST

My Kioti CK 20 HST,18hp pto , runs my 4' KK hog just fine , have to slow down in heavy brush or grass. But thats a good idea anyway when you don't know whats in there.
    In grass and light brush I go forward with bucket low to "feel" the way, good for finding hidden fence posts and rocks.
    In heavy brush I go backwrds, it's slower but only need one trip over and I raise the hog and drop it slowly on the big brush and saplings. I can usually cutup just about anything I can push over with the back method, I have cut 3-4" easily. Only sheared one bolt in 4 yrs.
    Another advantage of the backing method you aren't driving over and catching all that brush under the tractor and bending things ,pullling pins out etc, you get the idea.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Quote Originally Posted by F2036 View Post
    How many hp tractor do any of you reccomend to run a 4' rotary mower?
    I have a 26 hp gear drive and it will run a rear mount 66" finish mower but not to my satisfaction.
    I'm wondering what it will take to run a 4' rotary(bush hog type) mower satisfactorally with a hydro trans. This will be in waterways and fence rows, some pretty tough mowing.
    Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated.
    I ran a 4' hog on an old beater worn and abused Ford 1220 hydro... in 2'-3' grass it bogged down. but then that was a lawnmower sized tractor.. I'd say if you can get 18hp or so back there.. it's likely ok...

soundguy

Silver Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 4120

Being rather new to the bh scene, I recently bought a 5ft KK bush hog and it seems to run fine behind my JD 4120. It feels like the bh would fly apart before the tractor would lug. I dispatched some really large brush this past weekend without so much as a drop in rpms.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast