Clutch Life Expecancy in Hours

/ Clutch Life Expecancy in Hours #1  

mrlullabye

I recently bought a Farmtrac 360 that was advertised as having recently had the clutch changed. I have to say I did not expect any problems out of it so I did not really enquire the details of when the clutch was changed. The tractor only had 620 hours on it so I assumed whoever owned it before must have ridden it.

So I want to say this is not a flame post, and so far I am not unhappy with my decision to buy this tractor, but 10 hours into my owner ship of the tractor I am having clutch problems. I am thinking something was probably not installed right with the clutch when it was changed.

I did notice that when I test drove it and all afterwards when you shifted from neutral to any gear the tractor would tend to ever so gently lurch forward almost like the clutch was dragging. The guy at the tractor place (I'm not naming names, like I said not unhappy yet) said that was normal on a shuttle shift transmission.

I am curious what the average lifespan on a clutch is?

Is there really any major factors (4wd, HP) that really affect clutch lifespan other than riding it?

Is it normal for the tractor to lurch when shifted into gear eve with the clutch fully depressed?

The clutch or whatever is broke is being real funny now. Basically it all sounds normal in neutral, but when you engage or disengage the clutch in any gear it makes a sort of flapping around sound and the tractor will lurch a little when you disengage the clutch. By that description it could sound like a transmission problem, but all I can say is sitting there beside it, all of the funny parts happen with the clutching. And the transmission shifts smooth without having to be forced or making any funny sounds. If it is anything like a car clutch, I would have to say it sounds just like if some of the fiber pads on the clutch are coming apart.

The guys who put the clutch in are going to take a look at it, and so far have been real decent and on the up and up. I have a feeling like they just had a case of a defective clutch. I know enough about working on cars that sometimes it just goes south despite best efforts, so I am not upset with the guys or anything.

/ Clutch Life Expecancy in Hours #2  
Shuttle or not it should not lurch forward when you go to neutral. It is most likely not quite in adjustment or they pressure plate may be warped a bit(in my non-professional opinion). 620 hrs would be very quick for a clutch to go out IMO also. The soonest I have ever had one start to fail was around 2000 hrs and that was because of a broken counterbalance spring(that we ignored:eek:).
If they are working with you on it I wouldn't get upset yet.

/ Clutch Life Expecancy in Hours
I'm not upset in the least. Of course I would rather it not have went out, but at the same time I understand stuff happens.

I guess we won't know until they get it in their shop and opened up, but I am guessing it is something like you said broken or defective part. They would have actually changed the clutch less than 20 hours ago, so I sort of am inclined to think no amount of operator error (within reason) would have caused one to wear out that fast.

I learned a long time ago that it is best to give people a chance and be patient first, then only if they leave you no other option does it help to get nasty. If it gets to that stage it is doubtful anyone is going to come away happy.

I've really heard a lot of different stories on clutch life expectancy, but it seems like most people have said 500-5000 hours.

/ Clutch Life Expecancy in Hours #4  
I bought a used 1964 Massey 135 with 1,100 hours on it. I used it for commercial mowing and put another 3,000 hours on it. The clutch was just as crisp and clean the day I sold it as the day I bought it. And I think I was rougher on this clutch than many. In this 3,000 hours I think I adjusted the clutch about 4 times and the adjustments were minimal. But they don't make things now like they made in the 60's.

/ Clutch Life Expecancy in Hours #5  
My two oldest tractors were bought in 1971 and 1979. The 71 MF150 has just over 3400 hours in 38 years. The '79 Deere 2440 has 4800(+)hours in it's 30 years. Both have been used hard but not abused. Both have the original clutch, still in good working order.

Some chores are harder on clutches than others. Some operators are harder on clutches than others.

/ Clutch Life Expecancy in Hours #6  
Yes, I like your attitude! Treat them right and give them a chance to make good on it. Then like you say, if a change in attitude seems necessary, then by all means,...whatever it takes!

But,....of all the used tractors I've had, I have NEVER changed a clutch. I was taught very early in life, to "Get-OFF-The Clutch"... QUICKLY,.. and STAY OFF !! With that practice, ...a clutch should last a "lifetime"!!!!!!!

Of course some will argue, but proper use of gears and throttle, should eliminate the need to ride that clutch. And yes, it should not do what you claim,....there is something out of whack in there.

Sounds like the previous operator used the clutch pedal for a foot rest, "a lot"!! I wonder how many hours he put on it with the "new" clutch installed? I just cannot understand anyone burning out a clutch so fast,....enough to make you cry! You don't suppose he was on the way to burning this one out too do you? Certainly sounds like it to me,...unless it was faulty?

Best of luck to you,
. . tug

PS: mrlullabye,...WELCOME IN,...a nice place to be!

/ Clutch Life Expecancy in Hours #7  
I have a farmtrac 300, same tractor different engine. Just under a 1000 hours I had problems getting shuttle into gear and out of gear. I suspected clutch but turned out to be syncros in shuttle shift. It was repaired under warranty before farmtrac went out of business.

/ Clutch Life Expecancy in Hours #8  
I agre with farmwithjunk.. a good operator and an average tractor.. even dry clutch, .. the clutch life expectance will likely be measured in decades...

soundguy

/ Clutch Life Expecancy in Hours #9  
Just wondering about those old Allis Chalmers round balers and a tractor without a live PTO and big hay fields?:D