Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    01 Kubota B21TLB, 2010 Ferris 52" ZTR, Cub Cadet 1811, Gravely Super8

Default Re: Driving On The Road?

I have an SMV sign, flashers, as well registered and licensed with the state since I frequently go a 1/2 mile or so on local roads helping out the neighbors.

Cost for a tractor registration & plate is $25 per year in NH, well worth any hassle with the locals, though never had had any problems.

Carl

Soundguy, the response by your local FD really pi$$es me off! I am a volunteer in our local FD, and have never seen anyone in our department react in a manner like this.

A couple of things to keep in mind-your taxes (or donations, depends where you are) support this department. Also, while you may not have gotten satisfaction from the chief of the fire district, why stop there. Most areas have elected commissioners that the chief reports to-you might want to talk to him/her. Also, the commissioners meetings are open to the public, and most organizations hate bad publicity-you might want to bring it up there, if you were in the right.

Too many small-minded people in positions with some authority these days.

OK, rant mode off.

Bri

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B2410

Yea, usually a bribery citation.[img]/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Tractor
    Kubota 3710, 1970 Leland 384

Carl,

I never heard of registering a tractor before. I guess that it won't be long before one of our nothern visitors ( read that [censored] Yankee ) tries to convince our politicos that we should do that also because that's the way they do it up North.

I think that I will just have to be guilty of having unregistered tractors. Just like my fire arms are unregistered.

By the way, Yankees are fine, it's the [censored] ones that come stay and try to make this like home (up north ).

Don

Rest in Peace
    Tractor
    kubota b2400- R4 tires

if there are any politicians on this board , we just gave them another way to raise money[img]/w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif[/img] never heard of registering a tractor, farm tractor that is. have seen some comercial stuff with plates tho.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    TC35D/16LA

Up here in MA...your okay on the road with SMV and warning lights if the vehicle ( tractor ) has a maximum road speed of under 12.5 MPH. My TC35D is out with a max of 13.4 MPH or so. Over that your considered a motor vehicle. You need registration...that requires paying sales\tax...and you need liability insurance in case you crash into a school bus !!!

I'm in a rural area...never an issue....so long as your not being an idiot. This time of year its never a problem with all the hay cutters and faammas running around. Nobody questions anything.

Tractor
    Currently tractor-less

<font color=blue>The person that lives directly behind me ( beyond a tree buffer ) in the retirement community calle dthe fire department, and reported a fire in the community.</font color=blue>

My solution to this is to always call the fire department before setting off any kind of fire. In fact, 2 days ago, I called 911.. immediately told them this was NOT an emergency and asked if they had time for a question. They said sure. I told them we were about to touch off a large burn pile, and they said okay, fine, if we get any calls about that address we'll just inform the caller that it's a controlled fire.

Always let them know in advance, and a repeat reminder just before touch-off is a good idea.

Just my own experience...

Bob

Tractor
    Currently tractor-less

<font color=blue>Up here in MA...your okay on the road with SMV and warning lights if the vehicle ( tractor ) has a maximum road speed of under 12.5 MPH. My TC35D is out with a max of 13.4 MPH or so.</font color=blue>

In NYS, they never mentioned speed. My JD4300 is supposed to go about 15.6 mph, and I can't quite see how going slower is going to make things any safer. Maybe it's just me. [img]/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I also, in addition to the SMV and normal flashers, strap a *very* bright rotating light bar to the top of the ROPS when on the road. If anyone fails to see this, it's because their eyes are closed!

Actually, a funny story about this. One day a kid came over after I'd been driving around with this light setup, and he told me his mom was sure she had seen a UFO the previous night! [img]/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3710, Ford 5600, Case MB4/94, Kubota B6200

My Case in high gear will do about 40mph. The manufacturer's certificate of origin states that it's a tractor as does the original custom's import paperwork. For fuel purposes the IRS has also ruled it a tractor.

And Massachusetts says it's a motor vehicle?

Down hill in neutral?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast