Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3710, Ford 5600, Case MB4/94, Kubota B6200

Default Re: Driving On The Road?

That's in sixth gear. The operator's manual actually says 46 mph. It has a 20x8 speed transmission with two low ranges. In the lowest gear the manual says it will do .06 mph. The decimal point is in the right place.

ok......

Tractor
    Kubota Grand L4610HSTC

For what it is worth... Carrying a copy of the law is not a bad idea. Showing it to an enforcement type might be, depending on the individual and the kind of day he is having. Might irritate the cop and get you written up for something else, less able to be defended. Use discression, consider showing the law "cite" to a supervisory cop or deputy DA. I truly hate to "roll over" when wronged and know I am right but sometimes you have to pick the right level of beuracracy to make your stand. Even when it is a waste of my time and money, I believe it is my duty to carry forth and make my point.

I have flashers and SMV sign. I would be happy to drive on the shoulder, completely out of any traffic lane BUT not usually available or wide enough. It is safer to "take" a lane and not encourage unsafe and or illegal passing even though, as it does to me, it feels like I'm being a road hog. Same thing with riding a bike. If you pull to the right extreme of the lane you encourage unsafe passing and contribute to getting yourself injured or help cause a head-on on the part of a passing car.

I have determined, even when driving a truck, no faster than 5 over the posted limit that solid yellow lines in my lane are automatically converted to "passing optional" signs by folks for whom 10 over isn't enough. In this part of the country (Oklahoma) there are some strange customs/"courtesy"? Folks will pull over and drive on the right shoulder so you can pass in a no passing zone without crossing the centerline, often using their LEFT turn signal to indicate what they expect you to do. Posted signs prohibiting driving on the shoulder are ignored to provide this courtesy.

Makes me nervous but I'll get used to it I guess. What I do appreciate from vehicles or tractors making left turns when there is no oncoming traffic and I am following them is that smart courteous drivers pull across the center line and drive on the wrong side of the road in advance of their turn or use the oncoming lane for deceleration prior to turning left. This makes it less neccessary for the following vehicles to have to slow way down. This gets smiles and waves of appreciation.

When driving a tractor where shoulders are insufficient for rapid (10 MPH or better) travel but good enough to allow pulling over, I will always pull over and let accumulated vehicles pass. I don't like to hold folks up more than neccessary and find that especially if I give clear hand signals that I expect them to pass that I will get a smile and a wave, in thanks.

Tags on a farm tractor!!!! Gee I hope that idea doesn't come to the southern part of the midwest. I could see a commercial rig used in landscaping or construction where they might drive on the streets a lot but a farm tractor that hits the public road in an agricultural area for way less than 1% of its hours seems a reasonable vehicle to maintain as exempt from registration and tags and associated fees.

Patrick

Tractor
    John Deere 4200 MFWD HST w/ JD 420 FEL w/ 61" loader bucket & toothbar & JD 37 BH w/ 12" bucket

Scott, it's the same thing riding a motorcycle. I've been a rider for over thirty years and one of the first things I ever learned was that people will only pull over as far as they think they need to in order to pass you UNLESS you're in the left third of your lane. Then and only then do drivers seem to pull out completely into the other lane as they should in order to pass safely.

Your comment about having to "take" your lane is true only because if you don't, no one is going to give it to you. When I have to go on the road, I drive with flashers and lights on, SMV sign clearly in place and, if traffic is heavy behind me, I'll pull over onto the shoulder and stop occasionally to let everyone by. Even then it seems like they don't let me get off the road before they're trying to squeeze by.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123