Under 5k tractor possible?

/ Under 5k tractor possible? #21  
I bought a 2005 Farm Pro 2425 Ag Tires, with 50 hours on it for $4000. It came with a 5 foot brush hog, a 7 foot rear blade, a cultivator, and a 1500 lb cement filled lawn roller. Farm Pro is not the greatest tractor in the world, but the 4 wheel drive is a blessing, and the 12 forward gears are pretty easy to live with along with the 3 reverse speeds. The power steering is great. I have since purchased a 72" 3 point tiller and a 30" dirt scoop. This little tractor seems to work fine with these tools. The ROP is nice to have and the roof keeps the sun (and the rain) off my head. In the past I have spent many hours on a ford 8N (and prayed for power steering) but this little tractor seems to do a lot more work with a lot less effort and it just seems to sip the diesel fuel. The brakes are bad and the foot room is sparse. The 3 point has not hesitated to lift anything I have been able to throw at it. The 4 wheel drive is very handy when using the dirt scoop, this thing can dig! It has no resale value but it is a lot of machine for slightly more that the cost of a good lawn mower. I expect that at some point I will have to work on it, after all it came with a full set of service tools and spare parts like head gaskets and a large selection of o rings and other gaskets packaged in a tool box. The manufacturer must think that they will be needed, but so far I am very happy with it. It is crude when compared to a Deere or a New Holand, but for the $10,000 price diference for a low hour 25 hp 4 wheel drive tractor, I can put up with a lot of crude. If I earned my living with this thing I would own something different, but I am just playing with it on my little 6 acres. It seems to push dirt around as good as anything.

/ Under 5k tractor possible? #23  
Spek, check the Atlanta craigslist. In a 3 week period you will generally be able to find what you want. Have not looked in person but as of late there have been quite a few nice looking 8n fords for under $3000. There was one one owner 50 something that really looked nice for I think $3500.

heavy equipment trader in georgia has a ford 3000 for 4999$ for sale now...

soundguy

/ Under 5k tractor possible? #24  
This tractor was originally purchased new from Homier in Indiana. I am the second owner. The man I bought it from was 81 years old and his wife won't let him play with tractors any more since he has a tendency to fall down now and again. I don't know anything about approved or not approved tractors. I don't understand how a large company like Homier could get away with selling them if they are not approved. I think there is a problem with some of the newer larger chinese tractors being "not approved" but I thought the smaller ones were O.K.

/ Under 5k tractor possible? #25  
oops.....I need to pay attention...you were responding to Speck about "grey market tractors".... disregaurd my last post

/ Under 5k tractor possible? #26  
In any case.. it's not approved or approved. grey market units were simply designed for a market other than our domestic one... and were then imported.. etc.

soundguy

/ Under 5k tractor possible? #27  
Here's one in VA:

I am selling a early 1970'S 135 series massey ferguson tractor with 3 cyl. perkins diesel engine w/manual steering ONLY 2,200 HRS. Included will be a 5 ft. bush hog, snow blade, and 12 in. double bottom plow. Tractor runs and performs well. Will start in cold weather without the use of any starter fluid. Call 540-312-4820

/ Under 5k tractor possible? #28  
I have to put in a second nod for the Farm Pro which is really a Jinma. I have a 28 HP version of the tractor and got mine new in 2003 for $9000 out the door. It has a FEL that will out lift my neighbors 50HP JD and also came with a 5' King Kutter finish mower. I have a Ford 861 which is something like 48 HP and the Jinma will out work and out pull it all day long. The only place the Ford shines is running a bush hog. The mower was actually the only junk part of the deal. I replaced it after selling it on Craigs List with a 6' Caroni that has been trouble free for 3 years now. The tractor itself has only need a new starter and one hydraulic hose replaced in 600 plus hours I have on it.

Don't get me wrong, the old Fords and like will last for ever but so will my Jinma. Its dead basic, and a true workhorse. For your money you can get a more modern tractor with a diesel engine, power steering, strong hydros, and 4 wheel drive.

Chris

/ Under 5k tractor possible? #29  
I've a 5 yr old Jinma JM354 that's done good, No FEL or Backhoe. I just use 3 pt attachments. I did replace some lugnuts once and I got them from Jinmaparts.com. It was a crate tractor I put together and back then I gave $6300 for it. bjr

/ Under 5k tractor possible? #30  
Don't get me wrong, the old Fords and like will last for ever but so will my Jinma. Its dead basic, and a true workhorse. For your money you can get a more modern tractor with a diesel engine, power steering, strong hydros, and 4 wheel drive.

Chris

I'm not gonna cut the jinma down.. but.. do you think you will be able to hit tractor supply in 50 years and buy parts for it? Parts availability down the line is a big part of tractor lifespan...

soundguy