Losing toplink pins while brushcutting

/ Losing toplink pins while brushcutting #1  

Strider

Tractor
Kubota L3010 HST w/ FEL
Hi folks,

As I mentioned in another post recently, we just bought a 5' KingKutter roatary brush cutter, and I have just finished about 4 or so acres with it. Unfortunately, I have gone through about 4 toplink pins (I think that's what they're called - its the pin that attaches the toplink to the implement). I have tried using the spring-type lynch pins, regular clip pins, and the clip pins with the retainer that makes them look like the letter 'D'. I ended up attaching both the link pin and the lynch pin to the mower with lengths of string, so I wouldn't lose so many. Is this normal? I didn't think toplink pins were supposed to be consumables.... The brushcutter has a "swivel yoke" that rotates up and down; could this be contributing to this problem? I might also mention that the field I was cutting had been plowed while very wet a couple of years ago, and the ride was very rough!
Thanks!

/ Losing toplink pins while brushcutting #2  
Try using a bolt with a lock nut to keep it in place. Also, watch that the pin/bolt is not too long, which might be causing it to catch on the 'swivel yoke'.

/ Losing toplink pins while brushcutting #3  
Strider,

You may find this <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=implement&Number=63877&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1>thread</A> useful. I have had the same problem.

I'm rather /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif to admit it, but I've done nothing suggested to correct the problem. As a result I just spent an hour the other day walking over what I had cut looking for my top link pin. Fortunately I found it...and the first one I lost!! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

I think I'm going to ponder the issue prior to my next bush hoggin' experience!!!

Kevin

/ Losing toplink pins while brushcutting #4  
Strider,
Try asking your dealer about a locking lynch pin. They have a spring loaded hoop just like the regular ones except it is D shaped and both sides of the D has to be squeezed together before the hoop will release. They work really well except they are about $2-$2.50 each.

/ Losing toplink pins while brushcutting #5  
That "swivel yoke" is probably catching your lynch pin and opening it and so bye bye pin. On the side the lynch pin goes in put a LARGE washer under it. Between pin and swivel yoke. Guaranteed!

/ Losing toplink pins while brushcutting #6  
Strider,
Might try a small padlock. Worked for me.

/ Losing toplink pins while brushcutting #7  
That is a good idea...I always used wire...never thought of the padlock...

/ Losing toplink pins while brushcutting #8  
I kept losing pins out of the finish mower when I back up under the branches if the fruit trees. I tired wiring them down, but still lost a few. Padlocks.......no lost pins. I get them real cheap at the Big Lots store. Made in China but hey, they're still there.

/ Losing toplink pins while brushcutting #9  
Thats the main thing...they are still there,a cheap lock would be fine....It's not something that you are worried about being stolen anyway. I went to my JD dealer which is in Marietta and ordered extra pins everything on my lift arms and linkage,just to keep in my toolbox in case I lost something.I hate to make a 60 mile round trip over a $2.00 item.

/ Losing toplink pins while brushcutting #10  
Since I started doing mine like McCallum said with the big washer (I use a twist of 17ga. electric fence wire on the lynch pin ring to hold it to pin) I haven't lost once since.