Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tractor
    Kubota L3010 HST w/ FEL

Default Losing toplink pins while brushcutting

Hi folks,

As I mentioned in another post recently, we just bought a 5' KingKutter roatary brush cutter, and I have just finished about 4 or so acres with it. Unfortunately, I have gone through about 4 toplink pins (I think that's what they're called - its the pin that attaches the toplink to the implement). I have tried using the spring-type lynch pins, regular clip pins, and the clip pins with the retainer that makes them look like the letter 'D'. I ended up attaching both the link pin and the lynch pin to the mower with lengths of string, so I wouldn't lose so many. Is this normal? I didn't think toplink pins were supposed to be consumables.... The brushcutter has a "swivel yoke" that rotates up and down; could this be contributing to this problem? I might also mention that the field I was cutting had been plowed while very wet a couple of years ago, and the ride was very rough!
    Thanks!

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    JD_4x2_Gator, JD_4300, JD_X485, JD_425, JD_455, JD_110

Default Re: Losing toplink pins while brushcutting

Try using a bolt with a lock nut to keep it in place. Also, watch that the pin/bolt is not too long, which might be causing it to catch on the 'swivel yoke'.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B2410 with turfs

Strider,

You may find this <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showflat.pl?Cat=&amp;Board=implement&amp;Number=63 877&amp;page=&amp;view=&amp;sb=&amp;o=&amp;vc=1>th read</A> useful. I have had the same problem.

I'm rather [img]/w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif[/img] to admit it, but I've done nothing suggested to correct the problem. As a result I just spent an hour the other day walking over what I had cut looking for my top link pin. Fortunately I found it...and the first one I lost!! [img]/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I think I'm going to ponder the issue prior to my next bush hoggin' experience!!!

Kevin

Tractor
    MF 1440-4 PowerShuttle

Strider,
    Try asking your dealer about a locking lynch pin. They have a spring loaded hoop just like the regular ones except it is D shaped and both sides of the D has to be squeezed together before the hoop will release. They work really well except they are about $2-$2.50 each.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota M5700 4 WD w/ FEL, Kubota B2910, 21' Flatbed Gooseneck Trlr.

That "swivel yoke" is probably catching your lynch pin and opening it and so bye bye pin. On the side the lynch pin goes in put a LARGE washer under it. Between pin and swivel yoke. Guaranteed!

Strider,
    Might try a small padlock. Worked for me.

Platinum Member

That is a good idea...I always used wire...never thought of the padlock...

I kept losing pins out of the finish mower when I back up under the branches if the fruit trees. I tired wiring them down, but still lost a few. Padlocks.......no lost pins. I get them real cheap at the Big Lots store. Made in China but hey, they're still there.

Platinum Member

Thats the main thing...they are still there,a cheap lock would be fine....It's not something that you are worried about being stolen anyway. I went to my JD dealer which is in Marietta and ordered extra pins everything on my lift arms and linkage,just to keep in my toolbox in case I lost something.I hate to make a 60 mile round trip over a $2.00 item.

Tractor
    JD 750 (first was '62 AC D-12 w/ factory 3pt.)

Since I started doing mine like McCallum said with the big washer (I use a twist of 17ga. electric fence wire on the lynch pin ring to hold it to pin) I haven't lost once since.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast