Hearing Protection

/ Hearing Protection #1  

rScotty

Tractor
Kubota M59, JD530, JD310SG. Restoring Yanmar YM165D
Does anyone use hearing protection?
If so, what kind?
I tried the sponge rubber squishable ear plugs and they work a little bit. Nice and light and non-intrusive but not quite enough noise reduction.
Then I tried my shooting headset - A Swiss "Thunder 29" and it seemed to amplify the low frequency noises. So no-go on that idea.

This noise thing hasn't been a problem for me with older tractors, but recently we got a new TLB with a canopy and the exhuast right by the front wheel. That combo makes it sort of loud for the operator.
rScotty

/ Hearing Protection #2  
I use the foam ones. I buy them by the box(100 pairs) and use them for everything from cutting grass, shooting, and even when my wife makes me vacuum. the foam earplugs have different db ratings. try some with a higher 30+ rating

/ Hearing Protection #3  
When on my jd4320, I wear the baffle kind that are attached with a string. They work well

/ Hearing Protection #4  
I use them all the time when operating a small engine. That's tractor, lawn mower, chain saw, motorcycle etc. I use the foam type, safety headset type and radio headset type.

Here's a post that I once made on this forum:

Saturday, July 21, 2007 I posted this on the forum
Your thread got me curious so I went looking for my sound pressure level meter and did a few measurements:
In the following listing, some readings are typical and are published and some are my measurements.
10db threshold of hearing
50db speech
64db I measured roadside traffic noise at 50 feet
70db vacuum cleaner at 10 feet
74db I measured my Miata convertible with the top up from the drivers seat at 50mph on asphalt road
74db I measured my JD2320 stationary and idling at 1500rpm from the drivers seat
80db heavy traffic
84db I measured my Miata convertible with the top down from the drivers seat at 50 mph on an asphalt road
85db tractors with soundproof cabs
85db I measured my JD2320 stationary idling at 3000rpm
90db I measured my 6hp/22 rotary push mower
99db I measured my weed whacker
100db tractors w/o soundproof cabs and farm machines
120db chainsaw and jackhammer
130db jet takeoff at 200 feet
140db threshold of pain
180db The volcano Krakatoa in Java (26Aug1883) at a distance of 100 miles-this explosion was the loudest sound ever heard by man
200db Instant death

And here's another listing on permissible sound level exposure from the U.S. Department of Labor
8 hours 90db
6 hours 92db
4 hours 95db
2 hours 100db
.25 hours or less 115db

So, looking at the above data leads one to the conclusion that it is not necessary to have ear protection on the JD2320 even operating at maximum rpm. Also I should not exceed 2 hours per day weed whacking without protection. As for the chain saw, protection is mandatory.

/ Hearing Protection #5  
I use the Ear Covers that I got with the tractor. I've always used Covers rather than ear pluggs as I've never goten the plugs to fit well enough in my ears.... they keep falling out... guess I sweat in my ear and they just can't hang...:eek:

I use the ear covers for everything, Mowing the lawn, Cutting lumber, weed whacking, leaf blowing anything with a motor involved with the exception of the car and truck.

/ Hearing Protection #6  
I use them all the time when operating a small engine. That's tractor, lawn mower, chain saw, motorcycle etc. I use the foam type, safety headset type and radio headset type.

Here's a post that I once made on this forum:

Saturday, July 21, 2007 I posted this on the forum
Your thread got me curious so I went looking for my sound pressure level meter and did a few measurements:
In the following listing, some readings are typical and are published and some are my measurements.
10db threshold of hearing
50db speech
64db I measured roadside traffic noise at 50 feet
70db vacuum cleaner at 10 feet
74db I measured my Miata convertible with the top up from the drivers seat at 50mph on asphalt road
74db I measured my JD2320 stationary and idling at 1500rpm from the drivers seat
80db heavy traffic
84db I measured my Miata convertible with the top down from the drivers seat at 50 mph on an asphalt road
85db tractors with soundproof cabs
85db I measured my JD2320 stationary idling at 3000rpm
90db I measured my 6hp/22 rotary push mower
99db I measured my weed whacker
100db tractors w/o soundproof cabs and farm machines
120db chainsaw and jackhammer
130db jet takeoff at 200 feet
140db threshold of pain
180db The volcano Krakatoa in Java (26Aug1883) at a distance of 100 miles-this explosion was the loudest sound ever heard by man
200db Instant death

And here's another listing on permissible sound level exposure from the U.S. Department of Labor
8 hours 90db
6 hours 92db
4 hours 95db
2 hours 100db
.25 hours or less 115db

So, looking at the above data leads one to the conclusion that it is not necessary to have ear protection on the JD2320 even operating at maximum rpm. Also I should not exceed 2 hours per day weed whacking without protection. As for the chain saw, protection is mandatory.

The decibel scale is logarithmic so the sound pressure doubles or halfs with every 3 decibel change. The sound pressure at 200 dB is 1125899906842624 time greater than sound pressure at 50 dB. That is why it kills.

/ Hearing Protection #7  
Does anyone use hearing protection?
If so, what kind?

rScotty

Good Afternoon rScotty,
I usually use my Bell & Howell work tune head set. They offer me both hearing protection and allow me to listen to my favorite country station ! ;):) Froggy 107.1 ;)

/ Hearing Protection #8  
Working in the bush I have the helmet, face shield, muffs combo -- I use it trimming, sawing etc. In the summer I just use the sponge ones due to the heat. The rest of the time I just use muffs -- I have sets of them all over the place cause they are cheap and I don't want to go looking for them or I forget about wearing them:eek:

/ Hearing Protection #10  
The decibel scale is logarithmic so the sound pressure doubles or halfs with every 3 decibel change. The sound pressure at 200 dB is 1125899906842624 time greater than sound pressure at 50 dB. That is why it kills.

Good on you RIT. Not many people know this or even think about it.

I dont usually wear hearing protection while on the Kubota but when I do I use the foam plugs.
At work I wear the Peltor earmuff type and sometimes double up with foam plugs and muffs. I do acoustical evaluation for a living so at work I get into some awfully loud spots.