Difference between single and dual stage clutch

/ Difference between single and dual stage clutch #1  

robertk

Tractor
tym 450
When I bought my tractor the dealer told me the single stage clutch was the latest design. Can anyone tell me the difference between the two, and pros and cons of each. I assume it has to do with the pto operation.

/ Difference between single and dual stage clutch #2  
What kind of tractor have you got?? Single stage clutch is old school like the old ford tractors had in the 30's and 40"s. Then came the dual stage clutch.

The single stage clutch stopped both the pto and tractor when pushed.

the dual stage clutch stopped the tractor at about half-way thru the stroke and then you pressed the clutch all the way to the floor to stop the pto.

The dual stage is alot better setup.

Now days alot of tractors have an independent pto meaning the clutch does not have anything to do the pto operation.

/ Difference between single and dual stage clutch
Mattman,I have a TYM 450, 6 years old, and it has independent PTO. I guess the independent PTO is what he was talking about when he said latest design.

/ Difference between single and dual stage clutch #4  
Single stage clutch, runs the tractor. pressure plate[is splined] drives the PTO and cannot be disengaged, PTO if independent must have it's own clutch. Much cheeper and simpler. International has used these for years. My 1972 IH 454 has this type of clutch.

/ Difference between single and dual stage clutch #5  
If you don't have an independent PTO, then both stop when the clutch is pushed.