Traction What'll give me teh most traction

/ What'll give me teh most traction
Now that you mention the track type vehicle I realized that the landscape contractors on my projects use Bobcat type tracked loaders rather than wheel tractors.

Hmmm...

/ What'll give me teh most traction #22  
I think you're on to something.. IE.. using same equipment 80% of the others in your area are using, in those soil conditions.. / job / applications.. etc.

soundguy

/ What'll give me teh most traction #23  
Good point - half tracks. They used to be not uncommon for tractors. Years ago the mailman even had a Model A with half-tracks on the back and skis on the front for winter use.

You mean just like that Rankin/Bass Christmas claymation special?

/ What'll give me teh most traction #24  
My distaste for overweighting the front end with a front wheel assist tractor stems from front axle rebuilds due to wearout. That is not what I'm hearing from you here. You will improve your performance.

From what you are saying, it sounds like it would be best to run our tractors in 2wd most of the time? Seems like a lot of us leave it in 4wd.

If most of the tractors have the fronts going faster than the rears, wouldn't that tear up the grass when in 4wd setting since the front and rears are fighting each other?

Ken

/ What'll give me teh most traction #25  
They don't fight each other, the rears just lag... helps prevent driveline run up.. and yes.. that's why loose traction material is reccomended for 4wa.

soundguy

/ What'll give me teh most traction #26  
The one place my R-1's do not function well is deep sand. They dig too much and down you go. I can see how R-4s might do better in deep sand. Turfs might do even better yet.

As far as splitting hairs regarding the names on 4wd systems, I don't think it is helpful. Each manufacturer has a different name. Kubota calls all of its tractors with front drive systems "4WD".

/ What'll give me teh most traction #27  
do not function well is deep sand

Australia has a current surplus of Camels. They should be able to maintain traction in deep sand!:D

/ What'll give me teh most traction #28  
And I've heard that oxen do better in mud than a tractor.

/ What'll give me teh most traction #29  
From what you are saying, it sounds like it would be best to run our tractors in 2wd most of the time? Seems like a lot of us leave it in 4wd.

If most of the tractors have the fronts going faster than the rears, wouldn't that tear up the grass when in 4wd setting since the front and rears are fighting each other?

Ken

Like Soundguy said, they don't really "fight" each other, the fronts just try to cover a bit more ground than the rears. You'll notice it more on a hard surface, like pavement, which results in driveline windup (try to disengage the front drive). The result is unneccessary wear on the front axle components. Worst case is loader work with no rear counterweight. The front drive ends up being the prime mover.

I run with the fronts engaged a lot also, but only when I'm on soft surfaces, which is almost always. If you drive on a soft, wet lawn, for example, you will see the evidence of the front wheel aggression, especially in you impose a load on the tractor. The fronts will slightly displace turf relative to the rear.

Most of us are running our rigs in the field, so to speak, and won't really ever notice the effect. However, if you check your operator's manual you will probably find a precaution against driving on a paved surface with the front drive engaged.

I know, I'm kind of a hard liner on this point. :D