How to tune weight properly on compact tractor

/ How to tune weight properly on compact tractor #1  

gt9772c

I am trying to tune my Kubota L245 F (2wd). It does not have a FEL. When I have the bush hog on and slightly lifted, I find it difficult to turn the tractor (have to use the brakes). When the bush hog is up, the front tires mainly slide (especially if on a slight uphill). I have one slab weight on the front. Do I need more weight or is this normal with a bush hog on such a small tractor? How much weight more should I add? Any cheap way to add homemade weights to the front or do I need to buy them? Thanks for the advice.

/ How to tune weight properly on compact tractor #2  
You probably should add more weight. How much?? I wouldn't be afraid to fill the entire weight bar with suitcase weights. They will certainly help you with any heavy attachment on the back, and I don't see many negatives (if any) in doing that. I have seen people use all sorts of things for weights, from railroad iron to scrap steel.

/ How to tune weight properly on compact tractor #3  
Welcome to TBN:D

When the bush hog is up, the front tires mainly slide (especially if on a slight uphill). I have one slab weight on the front. Do I need more weight or is this normal with a bush hog on such a small tractor?

Not normal at all, and very unsafe. You absolutely need more weight on the front.

How much weight more should I add?

There are to many variables to get a definitive number from anyone here, so you will have to experiment. I would at least try doubling what you have to start.

Any cheap way to add homemade weights to the front or do I need to buy them?

Anything that's heavy will work...lead weights from a tire store...scrap iron from a junkyard. Having a welder and some fabrication skills will help also;)

/ How to tune weight properly on compact tractor #4  
Welcome , but make sure any kind of weight you add to the front you can easily remove if you need to such as if, you remove that implement and want to use a mid belly mower or such. welcome again and have fun with it and this site. zman

/ How to tune weight properly on compact tractor #5  
Yeah, you defiantly need more weight!
There's now magic number as to how much weight you have to add. There's no disadvantage in your situation to having too much weight (except you having to buy it). I would start out (like said above) with double what you have now (and you'll probably need triple or more). Just keep adding weight till the front tires stay planted with your cutter up and on the steepest hill you'll be on. You might not be able to get enough weight for that. In that case I'd leave the cutter lowered to the ground and add the wight till my fronts stay planted on the hill.... You can leave the weight on all the time (unless it is physically in the way of a front attachment). I wouldn't recommend using anything other than the proper suitcase weights. Sometimes you can find them used for a lot cheaper than at the dealer. Check around at some old farms....

/ How to tune weight properly on compact tractor #6  
My compact has all the weights I can attach - suit case weights on the front and wheel weights on the rear. You do not have to worry about balance. Front end weights are a safety factor.