Tractor
    L2800 Kubota

Default Tilling

I currently do not own a tractor but I come ask a question about using one. I have a patch of land that I would like to have some compost spread around and then tilled to make a garden and orchard. It is about 1/4 acre and has been bush hogged once. It is full of about 1/8-1/2 inch saplings of ilex, wax myrtle, tupelo, and other shrubs. But what's worse is it has some palmettos some dead (armadillo ate out the heart) some still alive. I need a game plan as to how to make something like this
    http://www.trhunterinc.com/images/la...ttoremoval.jpg

into

something like this http://www.pigandegg.com/farm/imgs/a...9/IMG_0332.JPG

I would leave the pine trees unless you think they would need to come down due them dying after the tilling and creating a hazard?

Can I just spread the compost and till? Then follow with weekly cuts with my walk behind bush hog? OR must the palmettos be dug up with a back hoe? Is Bush hogging it first necessary? Would the roots be a problem? I can hardly dig in the soil with a shovel or post hole diggers there are so many roots but they only go down about 8-14" then you have good nice soil and sometimes water. I know how to operate a tractor But would I bet better off renting one or paying someone to do this? How long should it take? and How much should I expect to pay if having this done by someone else?

Tractor
    1998 Kubota B21, 2005 Kubota L39

Default Re: Tilling

Welcome to the forum. Your first link looked like areas I use to live in in N. Florida many years ago. I would be surprised if a tiller would work its way through those palmettos. As I recall they can be pretty tough. I suppose a backhoe would take care of them if you had enough time. A small dozer would make fast work of them and you might get someone in for $500 or so.

Good luck,
    MarkV

Silver Member
    Tractor
    B7800

I second the "Dozer" method of removal and ground prep for Tilling and soil addition.
    I rented on 10 years ago, Some places have "Homeowner rental" policies where they drop off the equipment for the w/e and give you 8 hrs of Tac Time (Dry as in you pay for the fuel on top of the price).

You should be able to get that into shape over a w/e rental... 600 or less I'd guess the price now would be.

Here is a Hertz rental listing for Dozers with price in the PNW

https://www.hertzequip.com/herc/rent...ategoryId=1210
    Last edited by FxdGrMind; 08-12-2009 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Addition of link

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kobuta B2920

For a garden, you really want the tree's to go. The shade that they provide is not desired for garden plots.

I would not do a stump grinding. You want as much of the root bulb out of there as possible. Get a tractor to dig it out. I just removed a 30 ft tree from the middle of a old gravel pit that I am starting to re-use. Cut down the tree and then used the FEL on my kubota 2920 to dig around the base until I could get out most of the roots.

For tillering, I'd get a reversing one. I have one (Land Pride RTR0550) and it does a great job. Don't get one that uses sheer bolts, but rather one that has a slip clutch. You will break a lot of bolts on a new plot.

Larry
    Kubota B2920 tractor with RimGuard in the wheels
    Kubota LA364 Front End Loader
    LandPride RTR0550 Reverse Tilling 50 inch Tiller
    Woods RB72 inch rear blade
    Woods HC54 rotory cutter
    LandPride QH15 Series Category 1 Quick Hitch