How are "Hours" recorded? And a break-in question

/ How are "Hours" recorded? And a break-in question #1  

GarageSmoker

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3010 HST
How are \"Hours\" recorded? And a break-in question

I get my tractor next Wed. (my first) and will be spending the next 5 days (or less if I get lucky) clearing 5 acres of very overgrown land. I am getting concerned that I will be near the 50 hour service point and not have the project done. Is it measured by engine running time or wheels turning time. I know thi sis a real newbie question but if i need to shut it off evertime I take a break or stop to move something etc. I guess I better know. I can't afford to give it up to service after 5 short days.

On the same topic, the manual says to take it easy 1st 50 hours. Dealer says (and so do posts here) keep RPMS up to max PTO level. Is this consistant with manual advice on the first 50 hours?

Hate to ask these basic questions but you guys do have the answers. If you want to know about keeping the cellophane on or off your cigars while stored in your humidor I'll be happy to answer that one for you. (that is a question frequently asked by new cigar smokers, BTW. Very equivalent to what I am asking you, I am sure)

Thanks ahead of time;

GS

/ How are "Hours" recorded? And a break-in question #2  
Re: How are \"Hours\" recorded? And a break-in question

Some machines have an electric hour meter so when you have the key turned to the first click the meter is running. Most have meters that run while the engine is running. I judge wheather or not to shut it off depending on how long my butt will be off the seat. 75% of the time I shut it off.
I love a fine cigar, take the wrapers off and keep my humidor around 70% humid. Is that good or bad?

/ How are "Hours" recorded? And a break-in question #3  

Basically run it like you are going to use it and you will be fine. Your hours are measured by the engine running time. Some go by when the key is turned on. Whether you are idling or pulling a plow the hour meter registers the same. It also doesn't make any difference if you are working your tractor or not you still want to want to change the oil according to your manual. In addition if you are only going to be away from your tractor for five or ten minutes you are much better off to just leave it run. It's alot harder on your motor to start it many times rather than just leave it running.

/ How are "Hours" recorded? And a break-in question #4  

GS,

The clock runs when the switch is on. I doubt that you will put 50 hrs on in 5 days clearing a 5 acre field since at some point you will want to stop and admire your work and have that cigar!!

Regarding engine speed, it is advised to run at or below the 540 PTO RPM level (usually 21-2400 RPM) for the break in period, and not for extended periods at that level.

Read and follow the manual and make sure you check the oil daily and grease the fittings if you do put on 10 Hrs a day.

Have fun,

Carl

/ How are "Hours" recorded? And a break-in question

The reason I like that question so much is there is no right or wrong answer to it. I leave em on since there is less chance for wrapper damage especially if you are digging around in it for that certain cigar you know is in there "somewhere".

There is a theory that the oils from the tabacco will "marry" from cigar to cigar if left au natuaral in the humidor but I don't know of any real test to validate that and have never had anyone step up and say my XYZ cigar now tastes a little like my ABC cigar.

For what it's worth, Cuban cigars do not come in cellophane wrappers and I am am sure they expect the average smoker to have different varieties in their humidors so how bad can it be if the real "pros" of the business don't do it? But the American "puriests" would never thing
k about laying 1 Cuban next to another in the humidor. God forbid!

I have found that closer to 65% humidity results in a better burn for a lot of cigars. If you live in a low humidity area though I wouldn't do that because the cigar could unravel very quickly when exposed to the dryier air. Saw that a lot in Vegas with it's low humidity. Better to keep it damper there.

Enjoy your smokes. Thats what it is all about. I am finishing my after dinner one now. Great relaxation.

Thanks for the reply;

GS

/ How are "Hours" recorded? And a break-in question #6  

10 Hours a day????
You will have one sore behind and joints you didn't know could ache will ache....... Just kiddin but 10 meter hours a
day is a good workout
Bartman

/ How are "Hours" recorded? And a break-in question #7  
Re: How are

Don't some hour meters run slower at idle as well? I think mine works that way (or seems too).
For break in, check the owners manual. It will probably recommend taking it easy for the first hour or so. After that, you should be able to run the inplements as they were designed to, 540 PTO rpm. I bet you will finish your project in less than the 50 hours.
I too enjoy fine cigars. I leave the cellophane on the ones that come with it. On some of the oldies, the cellophane is actually stained brown. The unwrapped ones co-mingle with no change in flavor that I'm aware of. I usually always have one burning while mowing. Too many cigars, not enough time.
Dave

/ How are "Hours" recorded? And a break-in question #8  

I thought the same thing, Dave. Someone, somewhere at some time told me that an "hour" was only a 60 minute hour at the 540 RPM PTO speed. Lower engine speed took longer to clock an hour, higher engine speed took less.

I'm not offering this as an answer so much as echoing the question. What is an hour on the hour meter?

/ How are "Hours" recorded? And a break-in question #9  

I'm sure every manufacturer has a different way of measuring it. I've seen hour meters that were marked that 1,000,000 revolutions was an hour so I always figured that was the standard. I never did the math so I might be wrong. I saw those hour meters on some equipment when I worked at an International/ Sperry New Holland dealership back in '78, I can't remember if it was on a 'binder or a Versatile tractor.

/ How are "Hours" recorded? And a break-in question #10  

Some meters say hours at xxxx rpm. That is what these folks are calling pto speed. If pto speed is 2000 rpm and idle speed is 500 rpm, it will take 4 hours of idling to equal 1 hour at pto speed. Of course if it is an electric meter that isn't true, it makes no difference what the engine speed is to that kind.