Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default ford 851 problems

I have a ford 851 powermaster with a 5 speed tranny. I noticed yesterday that it seems to have lost some power to the rear wheels. I was trying to go up a steep hill yesterday and could barelyy make it up in 1st gear. When I am running a brushcutter the tractor can barely go through anything. The motor cranks and runs fine. Any ideas? Thanks.

Veteran Member
    Kansas, Butler county, Just east of DooDah
    Tractor
    Kubota L4200 GSTCA

Default Re: ford 851 problems

Something is interfering with either fuel or air delivery. Check and clean the filters first. KennyV.

Tractor
    Kubota L3750

I am with KennyV on checking out your air and fuel filters. These tractors suck in a lot of air to run.. I was working on a customers tree job the other day and his big Stihl chainsaw was running fast. He ask me if he should take it into the shop? I told him to check the airfilter first. After he opened it up you couldn't see the airfilter because there was so much crud on it. I try to clean the airfilter on my saws every other fill up. I can't say that I do that with my tractor although it wouldn't be a bad idea.
    1st Peter 1:6-9

I'm not quite sure I understand your post, it sounds like the engine is running fine. I assume that means it runs fine going up the hill, and brush mowing, not bogging or sputtering. If that is true then I would think the clutch may be slipping, either out of adjustment or needs replacing. If the tractor is cutting out or bogging, then a fuel or filter problem.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    B3030

If the engine is running fine then it has to be the clutch. On a 851 the PTO is also run by the same clutch that turns the transmission. A worn cluth on a gear drive tractor is not uncommon.

Tractor
    BX24

yep, if the motor maintains rpms, it's the clutch.

on the other hand, if the motor bogs down, the rpms drop and there just isn't any power, check: air filters, clean and lube governor advance parts and distributor advance, check over spark system and fuel system. if nothing seems obvious, try a compression check.

i've had about all those problems at one time or other on my 1956. everything from loose spark plugs to broken coil or distributor wires that pass almost no current.

amp
    Kubota BX24 (loader, hoe, 60" belly); Ford 800 tractor; Scott's/Deere 42" mower; 5' and 6' rear blade; 54" Howse tiller; 20' 7,000 lb carhauler trailer; 2 other trailers; 5' dethatcher; 10" single bottom moldboard plow; middle buster plow; 600 lb roller; 3pt auger; front tire chains; Stihl and Honda small engine equip.

Growing with you season by season.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

BCnla.. what'd ya find?

motor run ok and clutch slipping.. or motor bogs down.

soundguy

Thanks guys for all your help! I have decided it is the clutch slipping! Now to determine what kind of clutch is in it. I hate to tear it down just to see what kind of clutch is in it and then to have to wait for the clutch kit to come in.

Tractor
    Kubota L3750

Is there a clutch adjustment on that beast? You might get some more use out of it. Or you might just glaze the flywheel and then have to get it surfaced.
    1st Peter 1:6-9

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

all the 5spds I see listed are 10" 15 spline for that model. You should hit the cnh website and take a look for yourself though anyway.

soundguy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast