Default Tractor vs Skid Steer

Want to get input on which would be best for this job. Have a pile of dirt, and pile of wood chip mulch. In the past we have used a Bobcat S130 and it does the job fine, but thinking ~30hp tractor will have a bigger bucket and be able to reach farther over a chain link fence for dumping. I can rent a 4wd kubota with hyd transmission for the same price as the bobcat - just wondering, will i have as much traction when scooping, etc? Any reason the tractor wouldn't do as good as the bobcat has done? The bobcat has been perfect, just a little smaller bucket so takes more time, and like I said, I can't reach as far over the fence to dump. (pulling down the fence is not an option in this particular case)

Thanks in advance for any input.

Veteran Member

Default Re: Tractor vs Skid Steer

Nothing moves material faster than a skid steer.

Get a bigger skid steer.

A vertical lift skidloader will have the best reach at height, like a Deere or NH
    "If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking." George Patton

Platinum Member

If you haven't had complaints about the torn up work area a skid steer creates that will be the best choice of machines.

Tractor
    mf 1547

see if they can put a bigger bucket on the bobcat. do you do the work at night so your nieghbor can't tell your dumping dirt in his yard...ok lame attempt at humor..jon

Veteran Member

I can guarantee you can't get a bigger bucket that this monster. I purchased this bucket and my kubota couldn't lift it full of sand. I ended up getting a skid steer and it picks the load up without a problem. It holds about twice whata normal bucket holds.

33" Tall
    44" Deep

I use it for all sorts of things I even leave in locations as a dumpster, when it's full I haul it off, also for loading trees it serves almost as a lift gate. Lastly I use it as a work platform for tall work. Will work also for large piles of debris.

I had to spread a couple truck loads of driveway gravel and it made kids play our of it.

Turkey Litter Bucket

Tractor
    Kubota L4200 W/Cab(Mine), Kubota B2150 (Dads)

I would go with the skidloader, if you know how to operate them you can move alot of material quickly

-Mike
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Kubota L4200
    Kubota B2150
    John Deere 170
    Several Implements

2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD W/Duramax Diesel

2005 HARLEY DAVIDSON SOFTAIL FOR SALE!

Link to my custom cab: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/b...completed.html

Tractor
    Kubota M5040, M9540, B21 TLB, B2710, RTV900, JD 325 Skid steer, KX-121-3 mini excavator

In my experience (I have both although the skid steer is new) and I've been moving a lot of dirt:

The skid steer operates faster, turns and maneuvers faster, and digs better. You can also see better where the bucket is.

The ss tears up the ground more.

The tractor has better visibility 360 degrees so if you have to watch carefully where you are backing up, etc., a tractor may be better.

The tractor operates faster over longer distances (e.g. if you are hauling the load 500 or 1000').

Ken

Padawan Tractor Learner
    Advertiser
    Tractor
    Deere 317 & L118

My dad has a tractor and a track skidsteer and it really depends on the job. The skidsteer bucket is larger than the tractor bucket in my case but I have got it in situations where the tractor would be nice. I do know that the S130 bucket is small but if you are more familiar with it it will be better. A skidsteer is a versitile machine that was designed to work in tighter areas while providing strength and durability. If you rent the tractor you may get better traction since it usually has bigger tires but it may not lift as much weight as the skidsteer. I hope this helps, oh take pictures of you getting seat time.
    My Fleet:
    2004 Deere 317 Skid Steer Loader
    66" Construction bucket, imatch QA adapter, CU72 Jake Rake, Middle Buster, 60" Landscape rake, 54"x 48" Pallet forks
    2005 John Deere L118
    42" deck

Check out my rakes: www.Jakesimplements.com

Member of the TBN "Young gun" Club