Tractor vs Skid Steer

/ Tractor vs Skid Steer #1  

bchandler02

Want to get input on which would be best for this job. Have a pile of dirt, and pile of wood chip mulch. In the past we have used a Bobcat S130 and it does the job fine, but thinking ~30hp tractor will have a bigger bucket and be able to reach farther over a chain link fence for dumping. I can rent a 4wd Kubota with hyd transmission for the same price as the bobcat - just wondering, will i have as much traction when scooping, etc? Any reason the tractor wouldn't do as good as the bobcat has done? The bobcat has been perfect, just a little smaller bucket so takes more time, and like I said, I can't reach as far over the fence to dump. (pulling down the fence is not an option in this particular case)

Thanks in advance for any input.

/ Tractor vs Skid Steer #2  
Nothing moves material faster than a skid steer.

Get a bigger skid steer.

/ Tractor vs Skid Steer #3  
A vertical lift skidloader will have the best reach at height, like a Deere or NH

/ Tractor vs Skid Steer #4  
If you haven't had complaints about the torn up work area a skid steer creates that will be the best choice of machines.

/ Tractor vs Skid Steer #5  
see if they can put a bigger bucket on the bobcat. do you do the work at night so your nieghbor can't tell your dumping dirt in his yard...ok lame attempt at humor..jon

/ Tractor vs Skid Steer #6  
I can guarantee you can't get a bigger bucket that this monster. I purchased this bucket and my Kubota couldn't lift it full of sand. I ended up getting a skid steer and it picks the load up without a problem. It holds about twice whata normal bucket holds.

33" Tall
44" Deep

I use it for all sorts of things I even leave in locations as a dumpster, when it's full I haul it off, also for loading trees it serves almost as a lift gate. Lastly I use it as a work platform for tall work. Will work also for large piles of debris.

I had to spread a couple truck loads of driveway gravel and it made kids play our of it.

Turkey Litter Bucket

/ Tractor vs Skid Steer #7  
I would go with the skidloader, if you know how to operate them you can move alot of material quickly

-Mike

/ Tractor vs Skid Steer #8  
In my experience (I have both although the skid steer is new) and I've been moving a lot of dirt:

The skid steer operates faster, turns and maneuvers faster, and digs better. You can also see better where the bucket is.

The ss tears up the ground more.

The tractor has better visibility 360 degrees so if you have to watch carefully where you are backing up, etc., a tractor may be better.

The tractor operates faster over longer distances (e.g. if you are hauling the load 500 or 1000').

Ken

/ Tractor vs Skid Steer #9  
My dad has a tractor and a track skidsteer and it really depends on the job. The skidsteer bucket is larger than the tractor bucket in my case but I have got it in situations where the tractor would be nice. I do know that the S130 bucket is small but if you are more familiar with it it will be better. A skidsteer is a versitile machine that was designed to work in tighter areas while providing strength and durability. If you rent the tractor you may get better traction since it usually has bigger tires but it may not lift as much weight as the skidsteer. I hope this helps, oh take pictures of you getting seat time. :)