newbie confusion

/ newbie confusion #1  

jbs

Tractor
kubota L3000DT
Hello to everyone,new user here. what a great website, tons of helpful info. Well here's my story,after trying to recondition some much neglected horse pastures ( bone-dry,cement hard rock and clay) with an old 8n and worn out implements I bit the bullet and went tractor shopping for a diesel.In desperate need of a fel and new implements the budget would only allow a no frills L3000DT. I was shocked at what this tractor could do compared to the old ford. So then I read some where on this forum where guys stated when they have real tough jobs they park their diesel and use their old gas tractors of similar h.p. with coments like the real measure of a tractors power is engine displacement. My 3000 seems to have twice the power of my old ford? Am I missing something here?

/ newbie confusion #2  
You ain't missing nothing! Tractor on with that diesel and enjoy - welcome aboard.

/ newbie confusion #3  
Engine displacement does not determine power. They are getting far more hp out of small V6 engines now than they did larger V8s a few years ago. A diesel will typically develop more torque than an equal size gas engine. Usable power has to do with hp, torque, gearing, weight, and traction.

/ newbie confusion #4  
I'll agree with BB TX. Horsepower alone does not tell the whole story. Torque, gearing, and weight are more important in determining how much weight a tractor will pull. That said, the old Ford N series are pretty well known for being underpowered for their size, especially once they have a few thousand hours on them.

/ newbie confusion #5  
I remember my Dad trying out an 8N with a V8-60 engine, he thought it was over powered. He thought the 4 cylinder model was underpowered. I wonder why they didn't use the old 40-hp motor from the Model A. Some of those guys just like old tractors better'n new ones. I get a little nostalgic for them oldies every time I go to an antique tractor show, or see one on TV.

/ newbie confusion #6  
no confusion is necessary. i went from a ford 2n to a kubota b2400, the b2400 will out work the ford hands down. the diesel engine cannot be compared to the gas engines. your achine should make the old ford seem like a toy. am not dis respecting the fords, i loved it truly, but u can not compare the new tractors with the old. and so it goes, in 20 years our tractors will seem like relics and some new guys will be wondering about the old b2400, or L3000 as compared to whatever, and so it goes.