Thoughts on 200 hour maintenance.

/ Thoughts on 200 hour maintenance. #41  
George, the only diesels that need special cavitation protection are "wet sleeve cylinder" diesels. Our engines are not wet cylinder sleeves and therefore don't need anti-cavitation additives. This discussion goes back-and-forth and on-and-on throughout TBN and I don't know why. All you have to do is follow the manufacturer's instructions and you'll be fine. Like my Operator's Manual, yours calls for 50/50 ethylene glycol permanent antifreeze. That's good enough for me despite all the well-meaning, but not very helpful anecdotes you'll get when you mention the subject.:rolleyes::)

/ Thoughts on 200 hour maintenance.
Thanks Jim.

/ Thoughts on 200 hour maintenance. #43  
ditto on the wet sleave cavitation issue.. but what about electrolysis protection and ph ballancing ( swizle stick check )... I'm surprised the smaller diesels er.. at least non wet sleave, don't have any issues with that, vs other engines.. etc..

soundguy

/ Thoughts on 200 hour maintenance. #44  
Antifreeze, laugh, but there are compatibility problems and special applications that did not exist 10 years ago when ya just got the green stuff in the yellow jug

Might you be referring to the time when it was alleged that some Ford 7.3 diesels as well as some tractor engine blocks had porosity problems due to a casting procedure??:D

Seems about that time the Antifreeze cavitation issue popped up as an alternative cause!:D