20 years old inner tubes.

/ 20 years old inner tubes. #1  

tvr383

Tractor
ford 1910,wheelhorse 18 automatic,
Hi,
Recently bought ford 1910 tires are filled with calcium solution that's been there since new wich goes back to 1986.
Some corrosion is visible around the stem area on the rims wich indicate some leaking during the years of use.
I intend to dismount the tires and have the rims blasted,repaired if needed,and paint .
I want to ballast them again but it will not be with salt for sure.

My question is altough 20 years old,could the actual tubes be reused or they are too old ....My first Idea would be to change for new ones but maybe some of you would advice different.
thanks.

/ 20 years old inner tubes. #2  
If I go to the trouble to break a tire down, and the tubes aren't new.. they will be when the tire goes back on.

besides.. you already -KNOW- they leak.. why even consider re-using them.

at most.. I'd save as a rainy day backup..

I do that when i change out old rims, tires or tubes.. I will usually then pick out one of the best tires and rims.. clean it up, and then put together a 'spare' using those old parts. I did that last time I did tires and tubes on a few of my tractors that were also needing front rims... got 2 'spares' out of the 4 discards.. other discards were at least good enough to have the centers cut out and saved.. etc.

soundguy

/ 20 years old inner tubes. #3  
ME and Chris disagree a little bit on this issue. Not saying either one is right or wrong, but here's my outlook.

If they held air BEFORE you removed them, the TUBE itself is still usable. What leaked was most likely the valve core/stem. (unless you find evidence of a patched up tube) GOOD rear tubes are expensive (relative to "the good ol' days"). (As an example, typically, 13.6X28 tubes from a reputable brand are well over $50 each) Not being one to toss money in the trash can for no reason at all, I can't see the percentage in throwing a good tube to the side and replacing it with a tube that's no more capable of holding air than the old one. Replace stem/core and use the tube again if it looks to be in good condition. I've still got one ORIGINAL tube in my MF150 from 1971. It's been along for the ride while wearing out 3 tires.

Last edited:
   / 20 years old inner tubes. #4  
I'll add that if you can do your own tires.. it's no big deal if one o f the old tubes dies and you have to break it down again for a repair.

if you can't do your own tires.. then weigh the cost and downtime of a farm call.. or a run to the tire store to have the tube replaced. Many of us here know how to do our own tires and are willing to take the chance on a tube. i hadn't realized a rear was upwards of 50$ now..

Farm call around here is 75$.. so figure that in.. look the tube over well for patches.. and if it's only the inner core, then see what the stem looks like disassembled.

good luck either way.

soundguy

/ 20 years old inner tubes. #6  
New tubes for sure. Most of the time the rims are only salt damaged very close to the valve stem only. This can be repaired most of the time then have the rim blasted and primed with epoxy. The rims should last another 20+ years with salt or without.

/ 20 years old inner tubes. #7  
I'll add that if you can do your own tires.. it's no big deal if one o f the old tubes dies and you have to break it down again for a repair.

if you can't do your own tires.. then weigh the cost and downtime of a farm call.. or a run to the tire store to have the tube replaced. Many of us here know how to do our own tires and are willing to take the chance on a tube. i hadn't realized a rear was upwards of 50$ now..

Farm call around here is 75$.. so figure that in.. look the tube over well for patches.. and if it's only the inner core, then see what the stem looks like disassembled.

good luck either way.

soundguy

The irony to that......The ONLY tube I've ever had to fail (split seam) was a brand new one. It lasted about an hour. The old ones are like ME and like my favorite tractor....We've withstood the test of time! ;)

You can find thin, Chinese made tubes for around $30, but I prefer good grade "radial" tubes from a brand that will honor a warranty. They're around $50 for 28" sizes, MUCH more for bigger sizes.

Oh yeah, I do ALL my own tire work.

/ 20 years old inner tubes.
I've checked prices today and saw 59.95 for 13.6x24,wich I need,this is with the brass valve special for adding liquid ballast.My first idea was to order them but then I had second thoughts somewhat based on older stuff being built better....I see from some answers that I am not alone thinking this way!So I guess I'll check what they look like first.
Im a handyman who most of time will tackle the odd jobs like changing tires but admitdely I have not ever done this size tires.BTW I am looking into buying few tools I'll need to do this.Will I be O.K. with 30 inches long tires irons? Straight or curved? I don't want to spend hundred of dollars for something I will not used often.I saw Firesone site where they give instructions but all is not clear.
Basically I think,because of the total weight of a ballasted tire I need to mount the unballasted tire on a mounted rim (onto the tractor) then fill them up....There is a special unexpensive tool I saw that I'll buy.But I'd really like to get the right style,length irons or bars to make mounting dismounting not so a difficult job...suggestions are welcome.
thanks to all answering.
Ron.

/ 20 years old inner tubes. #10  
The irony to that......The ONLY tube I've ever had to fail (split seam) was a brand new one. It lasted about an hour. The old ones are like ME and like my favorite tractor....We've withstood the test of time! ;)

You can find thin, Chinese made tubes for around $30, but I prefer good grade "radial" tubes from a brand that will honor a warranty. They're around $50 for 28" sizes, MUCH more for bigger sizes.

Oh yeah, I do ALL my own tire work.

I'v have old ones in fronts let go from presumably old rusty rims, and had a sidewall damaged rear let go from chafing.. but for the most part.. the old ones that don't get broke down and molested are holding.

now.. the fronts on my 7610s were another story. I knocked a thumb sized hole in one of the 10-16 fronts a while back and darn it.. went thru 3 tubes that were bad right out of the box.. got my money back.. but it was disenhearting finding them bad, still folded inthe sealed bag...

I agree.. good tube.. not a cheap one.

soundguy