I know I'm pushing the tractor's limits when:

/ I know I'm pushing the tractor's limits when: #1  

texasjohn

Tractor
Kubota Grand L5030HSTC
Spent all day yesterday and today cleaning out a dirt tank using FEL and a Soil Conservation rented 5 cu yard dirt buggy. I was on the edge of tractor capability and had to use every feature and trick to get the job done... let me count the ways:

1) Got "stuck" numerous times. When front wheels sank in tank muck, I used FEL to lift front wheels out of their pit and then curled it forward, assisting the rear wheels to back out of the problem. Happened about 20 times.

2) used 4 wheel drive all the time, clearly needed as all wheels frequently were spinning seeking traction, either because of wet slippery footing, or dirt buggy drag was too great.

3) with dirt buggy, I had to feather the depth of the blade up and down with the hydraulics to maintain forward motion.

4) with dirt buggy I ran 2600 RPM and it would still lug down in low range, requiring raising the buggy blade to shed some drag load. Tractor is 50ish HP, was able to do the job but clearly only with 4WD.

5) I filled FEL with dirt to give more weight on front axle for better traction with dirt buggy.

6) I had to use the lever that locks both rear wheels to turn together probably 50 times to get out of a spinning wheels situation.

7) The angle of the tank sides, uneven terrain, combined with heavy FEL load of wet clay turned the tractor into a 3 wheeler too frequently despite my careful and slow driving, even with about 1000 lbs on the rear of combined weights and box blade. Luckily, I have a habit of keeping the load low and hand on the FEL lever prepared to drop it. Had to drop it 5-10 times to regain stability.

8) Once I was super glad I had HST transmission... dirt buggy high centered on prior dirt load... tried to back up but all that happened was buggy tongue jack knifed and tractor rear shot off the ground... immediately getting off the HST pedal stopped the motion... not sure I could have hit a clutch quickly enough.

9) Lastly, I was in and out of the cab... so glad I had a cab, temp was 103. Cab kept it livable, out of dust, out of sun, held my soft side case for frozen water bottles, even captured my billfold that fell out of rear pant pocket:eek: Without cab, I doubt I would have had any seat time at all:cool:

All in all, I pushed the limits, used all features and they kept me moving and I got the job done. I'm very happy with my tractor, it's regular and optional features that it has.:D:D:D:D

/ I know I'm pushing the tractor's limits when: #2  
Would have been easier to say, Let's see, what Didn't I do yesterday.....Good report. Thanks!

Don

/ I know I'm pushing the tractor's limits when: #3  
I would say a 5 yard scraper would be about at the limits of a 50hp tractor. Years ago I cleaned out a small tank with an NAA and a little 1.5 or so yard antique dirt bucket and it was a literal battle that used every ounce of the tractor's grunt the whole time. It, again, was a small tank and it took us the better part of week but it was ultimately cheaper than the dozer man.

But, if you take care of the machine and are a mindful operator, you can run a machine at max for periods and be alright. Run gourds-out all the time, abuse the equipment, and do so in a regurlarly unsafe manner and you will trouble.

/ I know I'm pushing the tractor's limits when: #4  

the change is falling out of my pockets and my butt is puckered in fear of tipping.

jake

/ I know I'm pushing the tractor's limits when: #5  

It sits gathering spider webs and dust bunnies cause its work is done....

/ I know I'm pushing the tractor's limits when: #6  
John...I sure would like to see some pics of all that!

Last edited:
   / I know I'm pushing the tractor's limits when: #7  
my lil B7100 starts blowing its whistle..........:D