Field Leveling

/ Field Leveling
Thanks all for your advice. While I realize that it is a field, it is now my home and I appreciate a nice "golf course-like" lawn. I plan on keeping sections of it for naturalizing too, but not all of it.

/ Field Leveling #12  
But when even better results are required, go with something simular to the item shown below....

First to introduce the technology of Laser Land Leveling for Farm Fields in India. Level Master (also knows as Field King, Laser Land Leveler, Laser Leveler) is an Agricultural Machine used by Farmers worldwide to level the farm field using Laser Tec

We hired a sports turf installer to grade (using above equipment) and sod the fields. They were PERFECT when finished. From that point on, they required an occasional plug aerification followed by top dressing with a sand/soil mix to maintain that degree of consistancy. (Just like a golf course would do)

THere would be an additional source for info.....IF you play golf. Ask the local course superintendant how they maintain smooth and level fairways and greens. (after hackers like me get done destroying their course.....;) )

Yep. That's the kind of equipment my neighbor used to level and slope his 30 acres of irrigated alfalfa. His scraper box was about 10-ft wide so he pulled it with his D-7 Cat.

/ Field Leveling #13  
Around here flood irrigation it how the majority of crops are irrigated. The farmers spend a lot of time getting their fields smooth and with the correct slope. A 'land plane' similar to what FWJ linked to is what you see around here. I don't believe they use lasers but the land planes are something like 50' from tractor to tail with probably a 20' wide blade. Once in a while you can find a old 8', 3pt model that basically is a rear blade with 'wings' to help hold dirt and a long 'tail' that goes back to a flat 'glide' blade. All this is done after the field was rolled so you are not leaving ruts.

Here is an example:

landplane1109.jpg

/ Field Leveling #14  
Anyone know of a company in the USA that sells those laser box blades used to level fields?

/ Field Leveling #15  
Just google laser level box blade
John

/ Field Leveling #16  
A laser level would be for leveling a field. If you were building a football, soccer, or baseball field you would want it to be smooth and level. If you are just trying to smooth out a field there are other options that would work well and not cost as much.

/ Field Leveling #17  
Anyone know of a company in the USA that sells those laser box blades used to level fields?

The electronics and fast response valves are where the cost is, for a good setup such as Topcon with dual control (tilt and elevation) is about $15000.00 I am piecing one together now, trying to find some like new stuff, making my own cables and installing it myself for $10,000 plus. Lesser set ups start around $7500 and you can spend $50k easily.

/ Field Leveling #18  
I don't need to smooth the field, I need to level it so all of the rainwater doesn't run off.
The pull scrapers with machine control start around $13k.... Too much. Has anyone mounted a laser receiver on their box blade and leveled a field? I've seen laser receivers for this type of application starting around $600. Apache 3+ laser receiver looks like a decent receiver which can also hook up to a control box and remote display... For around $1000.

What about a land plane? The really long kind, anyone use one of those?

Last edited:
   / Field Leveling #19  
You can buy a receiver and mount it to your box blade for an indicate system but I would recommend you get one with a remote display. If the receiver is above the cab's roof for a clear sight line it would be hard to view in a tractor. I am looking at the Topcon LS B 110w which seems to be a good receiver from my research so far.

The long land plane works well for smoothing a field but you would still need to have a way to control grade in order to properly level. If your field is close to the grade you need and just needs smoothing up to remove high and low spots a land plane can help with that.

Right now I am working on drawings to add the wheels and tow bar setup to my 3pt Gannon box blade. It will be able to function as a 3pt and towable when finished. Also working on a good roller for packing the surface too. My concern with all of this is if there is enough work out there to make economic sense. For a small land owner and we have a lot of these in my locale it is cheaper to hire this work out. I am trying to do this commercially for these people.

/ Field Leveling #20  
Jenkins, sounds like you're making what I want. I see lots of those draw bar scrapers with a receiver mounted on top in INDIA, and one or two companies here that make them and they're not cheap.

I was wondering how long it might take me with a six foot box blade to level a 12 acre field with about a 24" off benchmark grade to level, about 50/50 above and below my desire benchmark.

Am I crazy for even thinking about doing this with a box blade?

Here is what I would like: Used Tractors, New Tractors & Other Used Farm Equipment Machinery For Sale at U.S. Farmer

Then I could mount my receiver on it and manually control the grade.