Tractor
    Farmall 140

Default Farmall 140 - Locking Differential

Hi All,

Does anyone happen to know, off hand, if the old Farmall 140 (1962) has a locking differential (Positraction)? Guess I could take it out to a muddy area and try to spin one wheel. Problem is, it seems to me that if it doesn't have a locking differential (and I suspect that it doesn't), I'm going to be faced with the new problem of getting it 'un-stuck'.

Thanks,
    Doug

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Deutz Fahr Agrofarm 100, Stoll loader, bucket, forks & root grapple

Default Re: Farmall 140 - Locking Differential

I had a 68 and a 73 and neither had locking differential.
    Charolais

Gold Member
    Tractor
    TYM T353 HST / TX3500 Loader

Quote Originally Posted by DougKnudson View Post
    Hi All,

Does anyone happen to know, off hand, if the old Farmall 140 (1962) has a locking differential (Positraction)? Guess I could take it out to a muddy area and try to spin one wheel. Problem is, it seems to me that if it doesn't have a locking differential (and I suspect that it doesn't), I'm going to be faced with the new problem of getting it 'un-stuck'.

Thanks,
    Doug
    Probably not. If it did, there would probably be a small pedal near the rear of the footboards to engage it, or even a lever of sorts...Tractors don't typically use a full-time unit, but one that needs to be engaged (hence the pedal, or lever). One way to find out is to jack up the rear of the tractor and spin one wheel/tire. The other wheel/tire should spin in the opposite direction if it's an open diff.
    TYM T353 HST w/TX3500 Loader / Faver SCX526LT Grapple / Woods BB60X Rotary Mower / Bush Hog SBX65 Box-Blade

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Satoh S-470D, Mitubishi FD 1450D

We always used the brake pedal on the spinning wheel. That makes the other wheel pull.

Tractor
    1986 MF 1040, 1942 Farmall A, 1949 Farmall Super A

Quote Originally Posted by oliver28472 View Post
    We always used the brake pedal on the spinning wheel. That makes the other wheel pull.
    Good Mornin Doug,
    Ed has it right !

Your 140 is just a newer version of my 49 Super A ! The brakes can be used together or seperately to help the tractor gain traction on the opposite tire.

Im sure you probablly have the little metal tab that ties the brake pedals together or lets them be used individually.

Try that method !
    scotty

,,,course,,it is gas,and gas is,,well,gas,,so,,but it kills the @#$$ oughta them yellow jackets,,,thingy

http://www.tractorbynet.com/content/...onth-scott_vt/