Farmall 140 - Locking Differential

/ Farmall 140 - Locking Differential #1  

DougKnudson

Tractor
Farmall 140
Hi All,

Does anyone happen to know, off hand, if the old Farmall 140 (1962) has a locking differential (Positraction)? Guess I could take it out to a muddy area and try to spin one wheel. Problem is, it seems to me that if it doesn't have a locking differential (and I suspect that it doesn't), I'm going to be faced with the new problem of getting it 'un-stuck'. :)

Thanks,
Doug

/ Farmall 140 - Locking Differential #2  
I had a 68 and a 73 and neither had locking differential.

/ Farmall 140 - Locking Differential #3  
Hi All,

Does anyone happen to know, off hand, if the old Farmall 140 (1962) has a locking differential (Positraction)? Guess I could take it out to a muddy area and try to spin one wheel. Problem is, it seems to me that if it doesn't have a locking differential (and I suspect that it doesn't), I'm going to be faced with the new problem of getting it 'un-stuck'. :)

Thanks,
Doug

Probably not. If it did, there would probably be a small pedal near the rear of the footboards to engage it, or even a lever of sorts...Tractors don't typically use a full-time unit, but one that needs to be engaged (hence the pedal, or lever). One way to find out is to jack up the rear of the tractor and spin one wheel/tire. The other wheel/tire should spin in the opposite direction if it's an open diff.

/ Farmall 140 - Locking Differential #4  
We always used the brake pedal on the spinning wheel. That makes the other wheel pull.

/ Farmall 140 - Locking Differential #5  
We always used the brake pedal on the spinning wheel. That makes the other wheel pull.

Good Mornin Doug,
Ed has it right !

Your 140 is just a newer version of my 49 Super A ! The brakes can be used together or seperately to help the tractor gain traction on the opposite tire.

Im sure you probablly have the little metal tab that ties the brake pedals together or lets them be used individually.

Try that method ! ;):)