HST versus shuttle shift

/ HST versus shuttle shift #21  
I use HST on steep hills and love it.

Every time I change gears on a hill I hate it.

HST all the way. It does drain power, no doubt, but for a lot of tractor usage power is not nearly as important as people think - I still almost always lose traction first.

And its the rare implement where 1 to 4 pto will make a big diffference - if you are that marginal, you probably should be in a bigger tractor.

/ HST versus shuttle shift #22  
I can run my loader just fine with a shuttle shift.

I agree. I have both a Kubota B21 TLB with HST and Kubota M5040 with FEL and shuttle shift. I don't see a big difference between either. On the 5040, it's automatic to hit the brake, clutch and flip the lever to change direction. But then I learned to drive on a standard transmission, so those operations are ingrained in me.

Every time I change gears on a hill I hate it.

I don't change gears often on a hill but it's not a problem for me. But that may vary with the brand of tractor as well as how used to it you are.

Ken

/ HST versus shuttle shift #23  
Brakes? My Tractor has Brakes? With a HST I never noticed them.
Now my Dad's old tractors never had brakes, nor HST. :)

/ HST versus shuttle shift #24  
HST all the way.

I agonized over the L39 with GST vs. 110 TLB with HST for weeks. Finally decided on the HST and the 110.

I am thankful for that decision every week.

/ HST versus shuttle shift #25  
The biggest negative i noticed when switching from manual to hydrostatic was fuel consumption - the hydrostatic used much more fuel because i was told not to run it at low rpm when moving.

Ken

/ HST versus shuttle shift #26  
I have a HST, if you are hearing whining and moaning, quit being a pansy and crank it up, give her some fuel and LET THE BIG DOG EAT. LOL zman