HST versus shuttle shift

/ HST versus shuttle shift #1  

savedbyzero

Tractor
Kubota L3710
This forum, and the site in general is a wealth of information. That being said.
I am on the hunt for a bigger tractor than my current one. I have a 29HP w/shuttle shift. I am considering an HST. I have been told in hilly areas, which is what I have, the HST is a pain in the rears, also somewhat dangerous. I won't go into the speakers reasons. I am quite comfy with a SS trans, but would like to have the convenience of the HST.
Please...any thought would be helpful.
Thanks in advance.

/ HST versus shuttle shift #2  
Welcome to TBN!

For hilly areas, slick places, precision work, etc., etc., HST is the ONLY way to go (IMHO). Do a search on here on HST and you will find dozens of threads on this same topic!

- Jay

/ HST versus shuttle shift #3  
Saved,

A hydro will run circles around any other kind of transmission if your primary use is PTO work - mowing, blowing snow, tilling, etc. If you are into heavy tillage, then you want a gear transmission with a shuttle. Or if all you are doing is dirt work (dig and carry cycles) then it is even money - hydro vs shuttle.

As for a hydro being dangerous on a hill, that is so much horse manure - the hydro in most modern tractors will have dynamic braking coming down the hill. The only tractor I know of that was a Nantucket sleigh ride to the bottom was the old Case Ingersoll and they had a retarder valve on some later models to brake them - otherwise, you best be holding on to the steering wheel with both hands!

Hydros are easy to operate and most people can master them in a matter of about an hour.

Given reasonable care and on time oil and filter changes, a hydro will last a long time and you will enjoy doing your chores becasue it is so easy to use.

Good luck!

/ HST versus shuttle shift #4  
I recently purchased my first tractor and settled on the HST. One of the reasons was my experience with a hydrostatic transmission in my utility vehicle on my very steep, hilly terrain. There the transmission braking has proven to be a great feature. After 70 hours on my tractor, mainly brushcutting, I can tell you that I was very comfortable with the HST especially on steep inclines. In my opinion it would be safer since you are not using the clutch unless you are changing gear ranges. With a standard transmission, if you go to change gears into reverse or another gear and accidently forget to brake fully or miss the gear then there is more likelihood of freewheeling which can be dangerous, especially on hills. This is just my opinion from my limited experience and I am sure others may disagree.

/ HST versus shuttle shift #5  
East Tennessee here... (hilly)

Rented a Kubota L-35 for a weekend. It is/was a GST.

Little did I know when I was on a hillside and shifted between gears that when the machine went to change gears it would go through neutral and freewheel.... :eek:

Scared the pants off me the first time it happened. After that I ended up having to absolutely MASH the brakes with all my weight to hold the machine on the slope while it changed gears. I might add...the slope wasn't THAT bad so it's not like I was trying to climb the Sears Tower or anything like that! (or what ever the Sears Tower is now called)

My backhoe has an electronic type shifter, probably much like your shuttle shift however mine does more of a 'click' like a turn signal rather than having to man handle the lever. I can move mine with my pinky finger quite easily.

Count me in the HST camp especially if you are on hills!!

/ HST versus shuttle shift #6  
Check out the John Deere 4x20 series with a Power Reverser tranny. I would not trade mine for a HST... I am on my third PR and will buy another. I would love to have a factory cab JD but in this series the only trans avaliable is HST, so a no go for me...

John

John Deere 4000 Series Compact Utility Tractors

/ HST versus shuttle shift #7  
I agree with everyone here..On hills the dynamic braking is a godsend. Besides, if the wheels would begin to slip downhill, you can catch them up with a pedal bump. Not so on a gear machine, you just bounce along until you regain some ground.

/ HST versus shuttle shift #8  
I have an L4400 HST and I got it because of working on the hills. I was told the same thing as you about haow dangerous they were on the hills. Dont buy that for a minute, an hst is the machine to have on the hills for the reasons stated above. I rarely use my brakes in any situation if I lift my foot the tractor stops. I will give this warning when you shut your tractor off on the hills set and lock the brakes. The tractor can creep forward and empty the hydraulic oil out of the hst pump/motor and then supposedly the tractor can freewheel. I have never had this happen to me and I always set the brake on any tractor geared or hst when shutting down and getting off the tractor on a hill. I have owned both geared and hst for years and the most useful for me and what I do (bush hogging, FEL work, and dragging logs). I feel for these uses a hst is by no means unsafe on the hills.

/ HST versus shuttle shift #9  
Savedbyzero,
While I can't comment on the JD with the power reverser tranny, I can comment on the HST with steep hills.

Our driveway is so steep that in heavy rain we must use 4x4 or in some good conditions front wheel drive cars.

With that said, HST has been great..
ONLY once have I ever had an issue. That was in cold weather, no snow, that my jacket was open and hooked the gear range shift. when I changed directions and turned to my right to back up it pulled me into neutral.

I was pointed downhill, and was backing up. hit the brakes and pushed the bucket down and got stopped. Then I promptly zipped the jacket up....

as for everything else-- I test drove shuttle, gear, and HST. And I would never do to shuttle or gear, especially with a loader.....

But as always... YMMV..

J

/ HST versus shuttle shift #10  
I have no problems doing loader work with a shuttle, but a hydro leaves more hands free for the bucket, steering, etc. I also dislike the whining & moaning sounds of the HST.

Other than that the big thing to watch when buying an HST is the pedal set-up. Some are better than others.