Installing flexible 3 pt links on an older tractor

/ Installing flexible 3 pt links on an older tractor #1  

GaryC

Tractor
New Holland TC45D SS
My mother-in-law has a 1979 Allis Chalmers 5030. I was telling her about how the new tractors have flexible links for the 3 point hitch and we wondered whether flexible links could be installed on her tractor, replacing the non flexible links. Any suggestions, feedback, or advice is appreciated. Thanks.

/ Installing flexible 3 pt links on an older tractor #2  
Get out your tape measure and figure out how long they are and what size bolts hold 'em on your tractor. Then hit a few dealers and measure the arms on tractors on their lots. Sometimes it's hard to find partspeople that either have the brains or the time to help you with projects like this. You might as well upgrade to adjustable sway control links while you're at it if your tractor doesn't already have them. they sure beat chains. Remember, you can make anything fit if you have a welder and a cutting torch and a great big hammer! ;)

I just dug out my parts catalog for my TN65, it doesn't give measurements for the lower links. Matter of fact, it doesn't even list the telescoping lift arms. You're stuck with doing the measuring routine I guess.

/ Installing flexible 3 pt links on an older tractor #3  
Gary,
It sounds like the goal is to make it easier for your Mother-in-law to hook up implements. Have you considered one of the quick hitch systems? The right system could make it easier for her than the telescoping lower arms will. Do a search for “Quick hitch” or “Freedom hitch” and you will find a lot of discussion about the pros and cons of the different system on the market.

MarkV

/ Installing flexible 3 pt links on an older tractor #4  
Could someone post a picture of telescoping lower lift arms? What Make/Model tractors offer them?

/ Installing flexible 3 pt links on an older tractor #5  
Here is a picture of the telescoping arms on my TC40D. It isn't the best picture but it is the best one I have at work with me.

I know NH has this standard on the D models, optional on the others. I think it is an option on the JD models, and possibly Kubota.

--Brad

Attachments

• 47-168057-draftlinks1.JPG
    47-168057-draftlinks1.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 166
   / Installing flexible 3 pt links on an older tractor #6  
I found another picture. This one is from the side a little more. You press the lever on top and the end of the link slides out about 4" or so you don't have to nudge the heavy implement around. IMO, the telescoping draft links are better than quick hitch systems.

--Brad

/ Installing flexible 3 pt links on an older tractor #7  
Doh, forgot the attachment! /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif

I hate when I do that.

Attachments

• 47-168061-draftlinks2.JPG
    47-168061-draftlinks2.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 159
   / Installing flexible 3 pt links on an older tractor #8  
That looks very interesting. If the "tractor end" is the same kind of "ball and socket" set up as the implement end (which mine is) then it would seem to be pretty standard and might be interchangable with other tractors. I think it would be more versatile than one of the quick hitches. My major problem in hooking up my implements is getting the tractor square with the implement. The quick hitches don't solve that but telescoping lift arms would.

Once you're hooked up and raise the implement do you slide them back into a "detent"?

/ Installing flexible 3 pt links on an older tractor #9  
Y'all need smaller tractors/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

I just muscle my wimpy 200# rear blade around untill it lines up/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

Those telescoping arms do look sweet,especially if I were to get a snowblower!

/ Installing flexible 3 pt links on an older tractor #10  
The implement end is the same ball and socket setup.

<font color=blue>My major problem in hooking up my implements is getting the tractor square with the implement.</font color=blue>

Yep.

<font color=blue>Once you're hooked up and raise the implement do you slide them back into a "detent"? </font color=blue>

Yep. That's how it works. You can either raise the implement high enough for gravity to slide it forward for you, or leave it on the ground and backup slightly.

My guess would be as long as you could find the right length, and the connection on the tractor end is the same, they should be interchangeable to other brand of tractors.

--Brad