How to use the front loader to dig?

/ How to use the front loader to dig? #11  
ditto what gary said.. a fel is not the greatest digging tool for emplaced earth.. it's a greap powered scoop for stockpiled material. that said you can scrap up dirt with it as you run, then curl when the bucket is full.

ripping and dragging with a box then scooping will get you better results.... boxes are made to dig, drag and mound...

soundguy

/ How to use the front loader to dig? #12  
I have a 4-in-1 front loader. How do I use it to dig for dirt? I need to get dirt to make a motocross jump.

Thanks

Do it the easy way and save a lot of time and wear and tear on your FEL. Get yourself a $150 middle buster plow (aka potato plow) from Tractor Supply. Plow the ground and scoop the loose soil with your 4-in-1 bucket. FEL buckets are made to scoop loose material, not for digging.

DSCF0089-small.JPG

/ How to use the front loader to dig? #13  
The loader is better for loading, than for digging. A toothbar would help though.

Best is ripping with the scraper, then going back and scooping it.

Or... rent a skidsteer with a toothbar on the bucket. Even though it is a loader, a skidsteer will outdig a CUT. Then finish up with your tractor.

I have a 4-in-1 front loader. How do I use it to dig for dirt? I need to get dirt to make a motocross jump.

Thanks

/ How to use the front loader to dig? #14  
Or... rent a skidsteer with a toothbar on the bucket. Even though it is a loader, a skidsteer will outdig a CUT. Then finish up with your tractor.

VERY true. A skid steer will out dig a tractor. A skid steer with a tooth bar will run circles around a tractor.

Ken

/ How to use the front loader to dig? #15  
Tooth Bar!

I get full buckets every time on my 4' on a 20 HP Mitsubishi in semi hardpan.
O.K., I have been 'playing' with it for some 800 hrs so perhaps I have an advantage, but it works for me.

/ How to use the front loader to dig?
Thanks for the help tips.

My skip loader also has a scraper and ripper attachment. Using the scraper, are we talking about pulling the scraper or pushing?

/ How to use the front loader to dig? #17  
The bucket of a tractor mounted loader will typically attain a depth of 4 inches below grade. The process is generally as follows (and start out slowly):
1. Place the loader lift control in the float position.
2. With the bucket flat on the ground, start moving slowly foreward.
3. Begin tilting the bucket down until it begins to penetrate the ground.
4. Return the bucket to the level position and continue foreward until the bucket is filled.
5. Tilt the bucket up to bring it back to grade.
All this is done while operating in float.

It takes practice but you can eventually dig a pit, with ramps at each end for entering and exiting. I remember a couple of guys demonstrating a wheel loader dig such a pit so deep that the entier wheel loader was below grade.

/ How to use the front loader to dig? #18  
The bucket of a tractor mounted loader will typically attain a depth of 4 inches below grade. The process is generally as follows (and start out slowly):
1. Place the loader lift control in the float position.
2. With the bucket flat on the ground, start moving slowly foreward.
3. Begin tilting the bucket down until it begins to penetrate the ground.
4. Return the bucket to the level position and continue foreward until the bucket is filled.
5. Tilt the bucket up to bring it back to grade.
All this is done while operating in float.

It takes practice but you can eventually dig a pit, with ramps at each end for entering and exiting. I remember a couple of guys demonstrating a wheel loader dig such a pit so deep that the entier wheel loader was below grade.

Iteresting, I've never thought about digging with the fel while in float. Anyone else ever tried this?
I wonder if this could cause any problems with the cylinders since the cylinder's stops are taking the load and not the hydraulic fluid. Are hydraulic cylinders designed with this in mind:confused:

/ How to use the front loader to dig? #19  
My fel's are on SA lift cyls.. so they are 'always' in flaot on the upward travel as ther eis no force holding them down. I can skim dirt by running along with the front of the bucket tilted down a bit. Not a great way to dig.. but you can move some dirt.. a box blade with teeth help aven more.

soundguy

/ How to use the front loader to dig? #20  
Iteresting, I've never thought about digging with the fel while in float. Anyone else ever tried this?
I wonder if this could cause any problems with the cylinders since the cylinder's stops are taking the load and not the hydraulic fluid. Are hydraulic cylinders designed with this in mind:confused:
It depends on the angle of the arms when the bucket is on the ground. I cannot keep the ones on the 7520 from knuckling under when I push in float.
larry